View Single Post
Old 10-14-2021, 02:03 PM   #2
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

The first story deals with Bailey. As a lot of folks know, due to my various health ailments and sleep issues, I am up late at night a lot, which confuses the heck out of Bailey. As far as she's concerned, if it's still dark out but the big human is awake, that must mean it's time to feed her. She doesn't whine or cry to be fed, but she makes it clear that she wants to be fed, and is willing to do whatever it takes to get what she wants.

So, last night/this morning, I get out of bed at 2:40 am. I shut my brother's door and make my way down to the office to do some computer work to pass the time, where Bailey is napping. The rest of my morning goes like this:

3 15 am: Bailey wakes up, sees that I'm sitting at the office deck, and meanders over to me, her expression the equivalent of: "oh hey big human.. you're awake. Time to feed me, yes? No? (Sad doggo face)

335 am Plan A having failed, Bailey decides that the problem is that I'm sitting down, and if I stand up, I'll understand that it's time for her to be fed. So she paws at the door to the yard to go out, only to turn around and walk away when I open the door, hoping that I will follow her (and feed her)

345 So, we're at strike 2 here, so the plan is to paw at the door, but actually go outside. and do her business. Then it's time for food right? Well, she gets a couple treats for being a good dog and doing her business, but not fed. This is strike 3 for her big human feeding her, time to escalate the demands up the food chain. (yup, she wants to speak to my manager)

405 am. My brother still slumbers. Bailey walks down to my brother's door, and paws at it. It sounds somewhat between nails on a wood door and a fist slamming the door. I have to raise my power chair to stand and shoo her away, which gives her a couple opportunities. Since she's mostly deaf (or pretends to be when she doesn't get what she wants), she doesn't respond to a "No..." but I guide her away, and she seems to get the point.

4:10 am. No sooner have I sat back down and put the power chair back down then she's back at Jody's door, pawing at it again and again.

My brother, who is at this point woken up and rather exasperated" just feed them, will you?" (He prefers that they be fed later in the morning, but he knows as well as I do that Bailey will not give in).

I open the door, and Duke comes trotting out and joins Bailey for breakfast. Bailey tries not to look smug as I dole out her gooshyfood, while I mutter anti-doggo imprecations under my breath.