View Single Post
Old 01-17-2013, 08:05 PM   #153
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
No offense meant to your wife or you, but I have a hard time justifying "this person isn't very good with this tool, so you can't limit them to 2 or 4 rounds. It needs to be 20 or 40"

How's that any different than "my wife...she's not a great driver...she has a hard time not drifting into other lanes."

One gets their license taken away, or is no longer insurable.

I just have a hard time saying we need to make options available for people who maybe shouldn't be carrying a gun/driving in the first place.

(and yes, I know gun owership is a "God given right", and driving is merely a "privlege").

No offense taken and I understand your point. Today I'd put my wife against most any police officer or other individual I know with a hand gun...that ws her first try. We also shoot. A lot.

I like video games, she does not.
She likes shopping, I do not.
We both enjoy shooting, and have enough land to do it safely and ave range memberships etc. it's not uncommon on a Saturday afternoon for the kinds t go t a friends b-day or whatever and us to go t the range or the farm and shoot. We'll do the same stuff other copies may do over a card game or board game...silly wagers about dishes or more fun stuff over who can hit closer or whatever.

Now I love tot hunt, she really isn't in to it. not because of killing Bambi but because she hates early mornings, cod and briars...which collectively rules out hunting. I bought my son a deer rifle at 11, it stays in our sfa but he knows the combination. He killed is first deer this year at 12 at just over 200 yards...I was out of town when him and his grandpa called and texted me a picture....I shed a tear of joy and pride over that one tbh.

I say all that for perspective. Again I think some level of magazine capacity is a great start. I just don't know what the right number is. maybe 20? I used her first shot anecdote to say I don't think 9 is the right number as NY apparently does.

Gun ownership is a privilege in my eyes, just like driving a car. If you prove yourself unworthy you deserve to lose both rights.

But by the same token, I have a home built hot rod, that I've had over 150mph on a closed track day, it is street legal. We all know increased speed increases the chance of fatality in car wrecks, sold my hot rod be take away because it can go over 75?...

That's a better analogy to me. I mean, heck if we regulated all cars to 70mph tops, we could improve fuel economy, save the planet, reduce automobile deaths...ts great let's outlaw all cars that can run over 70mph. Nope it doesn't matter how you drive, we can't trust you to be responsible, we will need to seize your car.

That's a real concern of mine, in my life time. I actually use firearms as a small percentage of my investment portfolio. I literally have tens of thousands of dollars at stake depending on how far someone went with a categorical ban.

And the precedent is scary.

I agree with the defend freedom against the gov't argument in principal, but recognize that none of my weapons alone are much match for a fighter jet...but they are a good match for a single rogue cop. That t me has a value.

Balancing that with making sure sandy hook never happens again, I'm not sure where the answer lies.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote