View Single Post
Old 08-03-2020, 02:39 PM   #31
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
bump to add, looks like the power has switched in our REC league to the ALL - Star teams from the REC divisions. Voting is tonight but that seems to be what's in the works. In the meantime I signed my son up for the competitor's Fall Camp (Tuesday and Thursday) AND our Fall Camp (Wednesday & Friday). Since it's his only sport it should be fine but I'll have to keep an eye on it. I guess we're going to look at transitioning to the other league where you get more eyeballs on you from the high school guys even though its 4 years away. Apparently that's how early they start watching kids. Who knew.

High school coaches want to know who's coming into their program and 4 years is about the time they start to pay attention. With limitations on practice time, ect the better coaches use tryouts as extra practice time rather than for selecting a team.

There's a certain HS coach in this area that's probably one of the 25 or so best in the country and the biggest complaint I've heard from parents of his players is he knows who's starting and by which year by the time these kids are in 7th grade. This means late bloomers face a huge uphill battle making the team and competing for playing time.

On one hand we can express our frustrations about the insanity of parents positioning their kids for high school athletics 4 years before high school, but at the same time in a lot of cases it's the only way to put your kid on even footing with others. So, yeah, the politics of high school baseball starts well before your kid is in high school and good high school coaches swing far more political leverage than many realize.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote