View Single Post
Old 05-03-2011, 07:20 PM   #254
Radii
Head Coach

-- I'm offered a new contract paying me $1000/wk until the end of the 16/17 season (that's a 3 year deal). I take it, I don't much care about my salary though I guess its a status symbol regarding my success level. Its a $50/wk raise.

We have our pre-season coaches meeting though I'm not sure why as in one day my assistant coach will be without a contract and I will be looking for a new one. But ok!

-- We are one of the oldest teams in the league. Bristol Rovers is the oldest.

-- Our squad is generally less aggressive than other squads in the league. Tranmere is the most aggressive, rochdale the least.

-- We have one of the least determined group of players in the league. Bristol rovers are at the top of this list.

-- We have more players with high flair than most in the league. I guess that gives us a number of spectacular goals but it didn't seem to help last year in generating consistent goals every game!

-- Our assistant believes we are most suited for a 4-4-2, 4-4-1-1, or 4-2-3-1 formation. We've never really built around attacking midfielders in the center, always with them on the outside, wanting guys good at delivering crosses while our MC's can generate play up the middle. I could see how our tactic recently leaves too many defensive holes open and a 4-5-1 with a DMC, two MC's and then the AML/AMR could be an intriguing direction for us. With Upson and O'Sullivan we definitely intend to build around the two MC's, that's non negotiable, its just where we want the rest of our defense and attack to come from.

-- After that diatribe i'm inclined to try a 4-5-1 formation. We have the support for that now and can just look for depth and improvements. On the heels of this decision I do an about face on Harry Arter and offer him a new deal. I pissed him off a good bit last year and won't be surprised if he doesn't take it. If he signs we have a core in place:

GK: Lynch
D: Nikolaou/Smith/Williams/Ogogo
DMC: Arter
MC: Upson/O'Sullivan
AM: Harsanyi/Downes
ST: Subotic

From there we go out on the transfer and loaner market and upgrade where we can and fill out depth where we need to.

After this review, we press the button to carry us over to July 1st where our roster will change drastically.

-- We look at a couple guys scouted early on, make a couple free transfer offers that aren't incredibly exciting or anything but I'm hopeful about.

-- We receive $33.63k as part of our partnership with QPR.

By July 2nd Ademola, Sam Sloma, and Ricky Anane leave the team as they are no longer under contract.

We lose a number of scouts and coaches too, most notably my assistant coach Jon Turner. He was not re-signed because I don't like his skill set at all. I lost a number of scouts because they thought they were too good for me.

So we've made some good progress here, its time to stop again and do a lot of scouting to try to find the rest of our team this year, and a new assistant coach.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote