View Single Post
Old 02-23-2012, 07:54 AM   #69
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Georgia State Championship

The biggest thing for us this year, was just being a part of this event. It is a huge accomplishment to be here, and we aren't particularly concerned about results. In fact, because this is the state championships...I'll post where we are seeded out of how many kids to give you an idea where we stand, and you'll see that we have no hopes of doing anything more than soaking in the
experience and potentially swimming a personal best. In fact, if you'll remember, most of our cuts were just under the number...so we will typically be in the slowest heat at the event.

Bailey

50 Yard Breaststroke - 45.48 - 73/74 - Only 74 kids made the state cut in this event, and only 20 kids that aren't 10 made it...Bailey is seeded second to last, and due to the fact, he Breaststroke has looked a bit off to me recently, she could easily end up last in this event...

100 Yard IM - 1:26.11 - 84/87 - Again we'll be in the slowest heat. This time Bailey is one of the 23 kids not 10 to earn the cut. I'm torn here on her potential...with her breaststroke and freestyle slightly off, I don't think we'll get a personal best here, but I bet we are close.

50 Yard Butterfly - 39.44 - 94/101 - This is the one stroke that Bailey appears to be swimming very well right now. She is staying low in the water when breathing and she is really drivng hard. We haven't done much fly in races this season because she got this cut so early and we were focused on getting more cuts, but I really think she will drop time here...

100 Yard Breaststroke - 1:38.21 - 54/59 - Only 14 kids 10 or under did better than Bailey here, but as you know from the 50 writeup above...the stroke is slighly off and I don't expect a drop in time

100 Yard Backstroke - 1:25.66 - 72/91 - Bailey is the 15th under 10 in this event, and her backstroke is looking good. If she doesn't overwork it, I could see a personal best here.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Bear

200 Yard Freestyle - 2:46.16 - 55/59 - Bear is the 11th sub 10 year old in this event. Even though he swam an amazing race at the last chance meet, I really feel he might go lowerer at State. I have a couple of reasons for this feeling. First, this will be second time he's raced the event, so he'll understand better how hard he can work without hitting a wall. Second, I've seen him come up big before in big events, espcially in the first race of the day (often he'll expend all his energy in the first race) and this will be his first event.

50 Yard Butterfly - 39.76 - 77/78 - 21st under 10. Bear is still working on the more technically correct stroke. I think he'll approach this time, but I don't think he beats it.

100 Yard Backstroke - 1:26.43 - 58/87 - 15th under 10. Bear has been strong in the longer event recently, and I expect if he isn't spent from his 200, and if he doesn't screw up a flip turn, he'll improve on this time.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Brett

200 Yard Breaststroke - 3:14.71 - 62/63 - 19th 11 year old - ok, I'm sure you are scratching your head, saying...I thought he was DQed and failed to qualify, and you would be right about that. However, I have elected to enter him in this event anyway. The only problem is...if he fails to swim a state cut time, I will be fined $50. We felt it was too important to him to be in this race, and his coach agreed. Plus we all feel (wife, coaches, and me) that he'll be able to beat the 3:15.99 time. My only fear is he gets sloppy or does something stupid and gets DQed again...
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote