View Single Post
Old 06-01-2012, 01:50 PM   #82
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Summer Swim Team

We won our meet on Thursday night...(not sure what the official score was yet...I'll try to remember to update this when the score is posted). There was an interesting effect that I hadn't considered when I posted that we were probably underdogs. We did lose quite a few year round swimmers, but we also lost a bunch of swimmers that weren't any good. This allowed the few remaining year rounders to compete in additional events (in summer league you are allowed to swim in 2 events, until everyone on the team in your age group has competed in 2...then you may swim a 3rd, etc...). Thus a few of our elite swimmers got to swim 6 events, thus maximizing the teams points. The lack of swimmers hurts us in the relays (in fact, we swam a 9 year old in our 13/14 boys relay, just so we could have 4 swimmers...), and it will kill us at county where our elite swimmers will only be allowed 2 events, but overall in the dual meets we'll score about the same as we would have last year...

As for my kids...

Brett

The relays were as I expected awful...but they did manage to finish second (not losing to the other team's B relay). Brett's IM was 1.27.25 and he looked good. He finished 3rd but kept up with both of the boys that beat him. In fact, he was only about a second behind the winner. In the Breast rematch from last years county championships, Brett had the lead by a fraction at the 25 yard turn, but lost at the wall...outtouched, he was beaten by less than .5 seconds...

Bear

Bear's IM was impressive. He swam against another year round swimmer and beat him by over half a lap...posting a 1.26.00 time. That time has historically been good enough to finish in the top 3 at county and often 2nd. His Fly form is starting to turn into speed as he posted a personal best 16.22...that would have been 2nd last year and will probably be 2nd this year (as the kid that finished 2nd last year is back and he is an exceptional flyer)...
Bear's relays both won....both had to come from behind on the anchor but they won...

Bailey

Bailey's relays were very strong...both won by over half a lap. Bailey's Breast looked much better as she posted a 20.10. That wouldhave won the event at county last year, but it won't win this year, as her teammate has beaten that time several times and Bailey actually finished 2nd in her race. She also finally charged into the wall in back and posted an 18.10...that would have won county last year as well...it won't win it this year though as her year round friend Haley is swimming in the upper 16s I believe....but all in all extremely impressive performance from Bailey...
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote