View Single Post
Old 11-12-2019, 09:55 AM   #262
revrew
Team Chaplain

No More Number 2 Guy
Dick Grayson, sports reporter, Des Moines Register

With the 130th selection of the 2028 draft, the Des Moines Dragons selected wide receiver Robbie Thompson out of the University of Iowa. He wasn't the first receiver the Dragons selected in that draft (the honor, notably, went to the 7th overall pick, Iowa State alum Louis Forbes). He wasn't even the first Hawkeye receiver the Dragons selected, as Thompson's college teammate, Xavier Bradley, was taken by Des Moines with the 99th pick.

In response to Thompson's selection, NFL draft analyst Todd McShay laughed that if a receiver had "ever scored a touchdown for an Iowa school, come on down! The Dragons will take anyone, so long as you're from Iowa."

No one's laughing now.

To be fair, McShay's low opinion of young Thompson wasn't unanimous. Fellow draft commentator Mel Kiper suggested Thompson may exceed his former teammate, taken a round earlier.

"Thompson has good speed, looks the ball in over his shoulder very well," Kiper said at the time. "He may not have been the go-to guy at Iowa, but I see him with more upside at the next level."

For four years, Thompson wasn't the go-to guy for the Dragons either.

But this year, that predicted upside came through with a huge upswing.

In his 5th season, the former 5th round pick emerged from fellow draft-mate Louis Forbes' shadow to catch 125 passes for 1,480 yards and 13 touchdowns, all career highs, and all marks among the top 10 receivers in the league.

Forbes, meanwhile, though he's been an outstanding member of the Dragons' franchise-changing 2028 draft (which also netted 1ts Team All-Pro DE Elias "Beast" Reese), suffered through injuries to play in only 7 games for the worst statistical season since his rookie campaign.

When Dragon QB Dakota Corriveau needed a completion this season, more often than not, he wasn't turning to Forbes, but to Thompson. Could it be fair to say Forbes is old news and Thompson is "the go-to guy" now?

"Naw, don't dis Forbes that way," Thompson told the Register. "We came up together in this system, and if he wasn't hurt all year, he'd have had a monster season."

Thompson isn't known, however, for a self-deprecating manner, and when the questions turned to his role, Thompson brought more bravado.

"Just don't dis me anymore, either," he said. "I ain't the 'Number 2.' I've heard that crap all year. In fact, I heard I was the 'Number 3 or Number 4' for four, long years. Maybe I was, maybe I wasn't. But let's be honest: I'm no Number 2. I'm 'The Man' now."
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote