View Single Post
Old 01-30-2009, 04:42 PM   #54
Radii
Head Coach

November 8th, 2008

Maine (1-0) at NC A&T (0-0)

Maine looks almost identical to us as far as overall rating goes. They're 67 OVR jsut like us. 70 on offense, we're 69, 64 on defense, we're 63. 70 shooting, we're 73.

By the way, rebounding was our worst rated skill last year at 61, we're rated 71 in rebounding now, and its our second highest skill behind shooting. we're still considered a very good shooting team which makes me happy.

Ouch. What doesn't make me happy is seeing our initial Team Unity rating is at 22. We return 3 starters from last year, though 2 of them played different positions, and of course our big man is getting his first ever action with us.

Hahah, we go to the opening tipoff and I failed to even look at Maine's starters sizes, but Hayes looks to be about 6 inches taller than the guy he's jumping against... hilarious.

Maine is SMALL. Their center is 6'8, PF is 6'7.

14:45 1st - Well we get off to a slow start, falling behind 7-0 almost immediately. I start to get a rhythm though around the 16 minute mark. Ewing drives to the bucket once and gets fouled, getting a trip to the line. After that Hayes has scored 8 straight points just laying the ball up over his man, and we trail 16-10.

14:30 1st - Hayes picks up foul #2 and sits. coleman has 1.

12:50 1st - We trail 24-13 as our reserves come in. We're playing awful on defense, giving up lots of easy buckets to men cutting to the basket.

10:15 1st - We're down 28-13 and Maine is in the bonus. I'm having a hard time getting points out of my reserves.

6:15 1st - We're down 20, 41-21 as our starters get back out onto the floor. Ouch.

Well, its 53-35 Maine at the half. We're just getting KILLED on defense. They're shooting 68% from the floor, cutting to the basket for easy layups over and over. But if I sag in to try to stop that they're not missing from 3 either.

We've got a 13-8 edge on the boards which would be great if there were more missed shots to go get. Hayes has 8 in only 5 minutes(foul trouble). Ewing and Alston both have 6.

19:00 2nd - Hayes gets foul #3, heh.

14:30 2nd - Its 62-49 as our backups come in. We're fighting hard and have it back down to 12, but I'm not hopeful about continuing to come back with our reserves off the floor.

11:00 2nd - Its 76-62 as we start to rotate some of our starters back in, trying to keep scoring options on the floor at all times. I'm just so unhappy with our defense here.

6:25 2nd - We trail 88-73 and Hayes picks up foul #4.

We cut the deficit to the lowest we're able to get in the final minute:

Main 99
NC A&T 88

Now, I like taking my first good shot, and I like using Alston and Ewing to try to blow by their men at times after breaking the press. I scored 70 ppg last year when most teams in the league scored 55-58, and I like that. But this is a bit ridiculous.

For the game, Maine shot 61%. They hit 6 3 pointers and were 15/21 from the line.

There was some good here though. We put up 60 points in the paint. We did indeed score at will inside at times.

The problem though?

Maine SF Troy Barnies: 9-11 FG, 2-3 3pt, 2-3 FT - 22 points.

9 for 11... They had 4 different guys make 3 pointers, which is why I never tried to change my defense to prevent their inside scoring. They were not missing open 3 pointers.

On our end:

Hayes: 18 points, 8-10 FG, 2-2 FT. 19 minutes played due to foul trouble.
Ewing: 18 points
Alston: 12 points
Coleman: 11 points
Shepherd: 10 points
Cruz: 7 points

Cruz missed some easy baskets and shows why he's a walkon, but he has a lot of size over Maine's reserves.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote