View Single Post
Old 03-14-2018, 12:53 PM   #668
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
I am for more reasonable gun control, devil is in the details but in concept, absolutely.

On guards for schools ... I'm okay with a police officer patrolling school grounds. In my area, the elementary and middle school are literally side by side and there is one guard that patrols both.

Do we need multiple guards? Not sure but if the school district can afford it, why not?

Do we want select teachers trained to carry weapons? After speaking with my wife who is a teacher, I don't think its in many teacher's DNA to do this and definitely not packing all the time (e.g. concealed carry).

However, if there are school administrators or teachers who are so inclined to be the last line of defense, and the weapons are securely locked somewhere (e.g. principal's office) to be used in an incident, I would support it.

On the broader question as to whether this is a sign of our messed up society, absolutely.

There was a post earlier on what other developed countries have guards at schools and found this link.

Global school security measures vary, but no arming teachers - ABC News

I can get the need for feeling that more defensive measures are needed short-term, but as I’ve written above, they seem to me that they would be a short-term sticking plaster rather than addressing the larger issues.

No harm in sticking plaster solutions as long as they are just that, while at the same time there are other longer term drives to change attitudes, improve prospects, mental healthcare, control access to weapons, etc.

Changes would likely take a generation to take effect, maybe multiple generations, and wouldn’t be cheap. But there needs to be a will to do this, and as a Brit I don’t understand the inherent affinity to guns, how things have gotten to the current situation, or the lack of desire to even try and improve it (I mean literally I don’t understand, not using it as a term of criticism)

Last edited by AlexB : 03-14-2018 at 12:54 PM.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote