View Single Post
Old 02-25-2003, 01:07 PM   #1
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Position-Specific Recruiting in TCY

I tend to look for specific characteristics in recruits, depending upon their position, so I thought I’d toss mine out for discussion. Bear in mind that I generally like to run out of the I or Veer formations, which influences certain choices.

QB:
Ample depth and a good mix of youth and developed upperclassmen is a starting point at this key position. I never want to be in the position where I have to start a true freshman (although sometimes injuries will force it), so I don’t mind getting a guy with a lower athletic-prep if he meets my other standards, which are:

Standard #1: He cannot have “Avoid INTs” as a weakness, and likewise cannot have a gross statistical mismatch for INTs to TDs.

Standard #2: It’s preferable that he has a good completion %.

Standard #3: I prefer touch, timing, or medium passing (and of course avoid INTs) as a strength rather than a weakness. On the flip side, I don’t care so much about long and very long passing as a strength (mainly because it pushes one of the ones in Standard #3 to a weakness).

Standard #4: Good rushing stats are preferable. It’s hard to tell sometimes who runs better in college, a guy who was listed as “Runs all the time” with 1 carry for 3 yards in high school, or a guy who was listed as “Runs very little” who has 100+ carries in high school. But in either case I like a guy with wheels over a stiff.

Standard #5: This applies to virtually every position, but the more ratings consistency the better. I’d rather not see “Very Low” there if I can help it.

RB:
Speed, speed, and more speed. Give me those Breakaway Running strength guys. I’ll take a power runner with Breakaway as a weakness, but only as a change-of-pace #2 RB. I don’t mind getting a guy with a lower athletic-prep at RB; this is a way to sometimes steal a real blue-chip RB because the powerhouses tend to avoid them, at least initially. I like relatively bigger backs (5-10+). I watch out for poor receiving stats in high school, as well as low yards-per-carry averages.

FB:
Okay, here’s a bias for my type of offense. The fullback needs to be a good blocker, or at least not have run blocking as a weakness. I am also wary of a guy with very low ratings consistency with no mention of blocking as a strength or weakness. I like size here, and FBs which have a decent number of catches, too. Once again, I don’t mind getting a guy with a lower athletic-prep at FB.

TE:
Due to the desire for good blocking, it’s pretty much the same comments as for fullback, with a few more to add. I won’t even look at a guy with “catch the ball” as a weakness. Dropped passes really bug me, so none of that. I like 3rd down catching and across the middle as strengths for a TE, as long as run blocking is not a weakness. Big guys are great at this position (6-4+). Athletic prep is more of a concern at TE.

WR:
This is a position that I tend to de-emphasize in my draft classes. Again, I won’t even look at a guy with “catch the ball” as a weakness, and he has to be really good in other ways if he has “get open” as a weakness. YAC and 3rd down are bonus strengths. I’ll take a guy with punt returning as a strength if he has no other flaws. Low athletic prep doesn’t bother me too much here, especially since more often than not I am recruiting later at this position and the studs are already taken.

O-Line:
I’m lumping all of these together for the simple reason that I usually apply the same criteria to all three positions. First, I prefer high athletic prep guys at these positions more than any other. Second, I prefer run blockers over pass blockers any day. Third, size is a bonus.

Punters & kickers:
Pretty simple for me. High ratings consistency is my first priority, then punting distance is preferably not a weakness for punters, and field goal accuracy is not a weakness for kickers.

DE:
Ratings consistency is my first priority, and I want it here probably more than any other position. I’ll usually take pass rushers over run-stuffers. Watch the high school stats.

DT:
Run defense is my first priority. Ratings consistency is great, but I’d prefer good athletic prep more. Size is a plus – I want Gilbert Brown.

ILB:
Hard, fast rule: run defense cannot be a weakness. Preferably, it is a strength. Should have plenty of tackles in high school. I also don’t like ILBs who have man coverage as weakness. INTs or pass rush as strengths make me worry. For me, good athletic prep is more desirable for linebackers.

OLB:
Hard, fast rule: man coverage cannot be a weakness. Pass rushing is more desirable for OLBs. I like a good mix of stats for an OLB.

CB:
Hard, fast rule: man coverage cannot be a weakness, and if it is not a strength I can’t have a guy with less than average ratings consistency. The corner is there to cover his man, and I don’t play much zone. I’m not too keen on CBs as return men, so guys with that as a strength make me wonder. Athletic prep is nice but not imperative.

S:
I probably overvalue safeties, but I tend to think of it as a top-priority position. I watch the stats, and I look for run defense or man coverage as a strength (and definitely not a weakness). No returners as a strength. Athletic prep is important.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Comments? Discussion? Your take?

WSUCougar is offline   Reply With Quote