View Single Post
Old 06-24-2020, 03:41 PM   #1134
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
What a mess

I tend to side with the players on these things, but Kerry Martin needs to grow up a bit. One of his claims was refuted by his High School coach and he's admitted Coach Koenning has gone out of his way to check in on him and make sure he's doing well and is eating during COVID.

It's pretty clear Vic Koenning needs to tone it down and be more aware of his audience, but nothing I've seen suggests he should be fired. An apology, more awareness, and willingness to change should be enough enough to save us from Gibby 3.0.

In all seriousness, if he's let go we're probably looking at Jordan Lesley moving to DC and Casteel 3.0 taking over the D-Line.

I think I'm on the same page. The total package is much different to look at now that his high school coach is coming out and clearly stating that he ever said the piece about the "slave owner" mentality. I work a fair amount with young adults and adolescents and can see how Martin feels like this is in the same neighborhood as some of the other things popping up across the country and how he wants to advocate for change, but without the backing of the high school coach it seems more about political and religious ideology rather than race-related.

I think the political and religious things can be navigated and it can be made clear that coaches need to have better boundaries about their personal beliefs. But accusing a coach of racism, and having a chunk of the team already bought in on it, makes it real sticky. It seems hard to envision Koenning returning. I thought the defense looked pretty good given the mass exodus and transition, but I'm not overly attached to him. Still, it seems like Brown dropped the ball if Martin brought this to him and he did not get out in front of it. Probably the first demerit most anyone could give Brown in his time at WVU.

I had forgotten about Casteel being on retainer. I'd be alright with him coming back, if he is willing to drop the 3-3-5.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote