View Single Post
Old 03-25-2021, 05:43 PM   #231
Racer
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Kentucky has not formally opened up for all, but it depends on where you are. Lexington is now 18 and over. Supposed to be statewide no later than April 12th for 16 and up.

In a sign of where I live though, I have seen 2 different news reports in recent days about concerns that supply will rapidly outpace demand here, as about half of KY adults don't want the vaccine. Presumably because getting the vaccine would be an admission that your FB posts about Covid being a hoax would make you look like the idiot we all knew you were...

I believe most adults in Kentucky qualify for a Covid vaccine at this point.

If Kentucky's population demographics are are the same as the U.S. then roughly 82.6% qualify by age (34.0% 50 or older per random google search) or BMI>= 25 (73.6% of Americans per CDC).

Once you account for the probability someone doesn't fall under any occupation listed, doesn't have asthma, and isn't pregnant,
you then get to about 12% to 16% of adults in Kentucky not eligible for the Covid vaccine. This assumes that:

a.) the underlying data that I quickly googled is actually accurate.
b.) the Kentucky demographic breakdown is exactly the same as the U.S.
C.) That BMI and age are not correlated with one another and
D.) BMI and age are not correlated with different occupations and pregnancy and that age isn't correlated with asthma.

If you account for the probability someone doesn't live in Lexington but lives in Kentucky then you get to about 11% to 15% of adults who don't qualify or about 85% to 89% who do qualify.

I didn't account for any other underlying conditions besides asthma or pregnancy but I'd be very surprised if they decreased the percent not eligible by more then 1% or 2%.

I don't qualify yet. I don't understand the purpose of excluding such a small minority at this point from the Covid vaccine. That being said, I'm guessing a large percentage of people do not realize they qualify because of BMI.

Last edited by Racer : 03-25-2021 at 05:45 PM.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote