View Single Post
Old 07-24-2022, 11:44 AM   #182
miami_fan
Coordinator

The change may be just what he needs. My son struggled near the end of last spring on a travel team that he had been on for about two years. He played all of the sports available to him in his last year of middle school and played in a rec league just to get more reps in along with the travel team. He played pretty okay with the travel team but he just wasn't the same person as he was with the other teams he played on in other sports and on his rec ball team. My wife and I also had some issues with how things were going with the travel team as they seemed to be pushing him to more of a pitcher only role as opposed to playing first base as well so I knew I was going to look for some alternatives. We had committed to him playing with the travel team for the first half of June. Once that was done, we pulled him back to get him a bit of a rest and see what we do next especially since he was entering high school this year. During that time, his rec team was going to states so he was still involved with that while also guesting for another team.

All of a sudden, his confidence grew and he played better throughout the summer. Not only did he play better and improve technically, he actually became more of a leader and was willing to take more responsibility on the field and off with his teammates and asking coaches for help. When I asked him about it, he said that because his coach was so quick to correct every little thing, he did not feel he could tell a teammate to make adjustment and sort of put himself in a shell. The difference in voice and style was just what he needed. Hopefully, it will be the same for Aiden.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is online now   Reply With Quote