View Single Post
Old 04-14-2012, 06:50 PM   #122
gstelmack
Pro Starter

FWIW, things on the running game side felt better against Temple. They don't have a very good O-Line, but do have a decent RB. He was breaking tackles, but not at an obscene clip, and his biggest issue was the O-Line not able to break holes for him. Felt right. He did break one long one, but that was one of those crowd-the-line defensive calls by me, he broke one or two tackles at the line but then had no one else to beat.

There are other things that I don't think are ideal, but I don't think we can fix them without breaking NCAA, they are more the fault of the game. I think I have too many drops, basically whenever a receiver is hit within 2 steps of catching it, not matter how light the hit, he's going to drop it. But I generate enough offense that if I was making those, my B-rated offense would be piling up far more yards than it probably should. I also don't think I generate enough INTs, but again at the rate I'm knocking down bad throwing decisions by AI QBs, if it adjusts up much at all I'll be getting 4+ per game, and opposing teams already have a tough time scoring on me.

I'll be curious to see what happens as talent level goes up. I do like that talent levels really do matter right now. For example, my QB improved from last year, and he is definitely more accurate. I can steamroll lesser defenses, but have real trouble working against AI teams at a similar talent level, which feels right.

But right now, while the details may be broken, the overall effect seems pretty good. At least until we start really playing with the big boys, but then I don't truly have big boy talent yet, either.