Thread: 2018 MLB Thread
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2018, 11:50 PM   #412
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I haven't looked into the numbers but a local radio host was throwing out some crazy numbers on the Angels injury troubles the past two seasons.

53 players have appeared in a major league game for the Angels this year, almost all due to injury. That's a whole other roster.

12 starting pitchers have hit the DL this year. 30 pitchers in all.

The original projected rotation:

Ohtani (UCL sprain; unlikely to pitch again this season)
Shoemaker (two starts and on the DL for a forearm nerve irritation problem--same thing as last year)
Richard's (UCL tear-- TJ surgery)
Skaggs (on DL currently and was DL'd earlier this season)
J.C. Ramirez (UCL in spring training; TJ surgery and never even reached the regular season)

Ramirez's replacement Tropeano (on DL 3 times this year)
Heaney started the year on the DL and has been the "healthiest" of the guys to end up in the rotation

55 players is the team record for most players the Angel's have played in a season-- set last year, when they were also devastated by injuries.

In addition to the pitching injuries, Trout just hit the DL, Pujols has missed time, Cozart is out for the season, Simmons hit the DL, Valbuena, Chris Young, Calhoun, Ohtani of course.

It's absolutely nutty that they're even a .500 ballclub (and almost were last year too).

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote