View Single Post
Old 07-14-2006, 12:32 PM   #132
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
My initial tendency was to chalk it up to the same thing, that it's just the nature of a different modern audience ... until I realized that he was also high on the list of my 8 y/o son's favorites too. Granted, he knows it's all a work, he knows about bookers, angles, shoots, etc. at least in a basic way. But the rest of his reactions to characters are pretty much exclusively along kayfabe lines -- he thinks AJ is the most talented guy he's ever seen, marks big for Sting, hates Jarrett & Steiner, etc., all pretty much the reactions that viewers are "supposed" to have -- except that he's made a clear exception for Joe.

I guess that's what throws me, I don't quite get how he gets the free pass even from the marks.

One of the cool things about wrestling is how some guys just get heat, and no one can really explain why. I always give the example of Hacksaw Jim Duggan. I LOVED Duggan growing up. All of my friends loved him. He was totally awesome.

Now, looking back, he was just a guy who said "HOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!" a lot and stomped around the ring for a while. There was no reason to like him. But we did. Now, granted, he was pushed as a face--so it is not quite the same thing as Joe--but I see some similarity there.

Some guys just get the crowd support. And some guys don't. And sometimes (if you are a good booker) you don't try to figure it out. You just work with it.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote