Grizzled Veteran

6. Divynls - I Touch Myself (1991)

Total Points – 268
Charts – 5
Top 40 – 2
Top 20 – 0
Top 10 – 1
Total Ranking – 5, 26, 27, 48, 50, NR

Unlike Turning Japanese (#10), that was rumored to be about masturbation but apparently isn’t; this one absolutely is. The song was written and recorded by the Australian Rock group the Divinyls, it was the lead single off of their 4th album and it’s a paean to eroticism, orgasm, and female masturbation. The band started in 1980 and has gone through numerous lineup changes. It started as a 5 piece, but the only constants have been lead singer Chrissy Amphlett and guitarist Mark McEntee. The band garnered widespread attention in Australia thanks to Amphlett’s stage act of wearing a short school-girl uniform with fishnet stocking and using an illuminated neon tube to display aggression towards other band members and the audience. When this band first stared out they were considered Hard Rock, but they slowly changed through the years to this version that is clearly a glamour pop. The band, while being a OHW here in the US was inducted into the Australian Music Hall of Fame. This song was the band’s only #1 hit in their home country, it also reached #10 in the UK and #4 on the Hot 100. As you can probably guess, the song caused a considerable amount of controversy when it was released, which hindered its ability to get airplay. In fact, at one point when performing live in Texas at Austin Aqua Fest, the plug was pulled on the band mid-set by the organizers. The band’s future success was stifled by a disagreement with their record label, so they didn’t produce a 5th album until 1996. In the meantime, they did release a few remakes as singles to be used in movies, including: the Young Rascals' "I Ain't Gonna Eat Out My Heart Anymore" for Buffy the Vampire Slayer (1992), the Wild Ones' "Wild Thing" for Reckless Kelly (1993), and Roxy Music's "Love Is the Drug" for Super Mario Brothers (1993).

Last edited by Breeze : 07-19-2019 at 06:13 AM.
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote