View Single Post
Old 07-19-2019, 10:52 AM   #216
QuikSand
lolzcat

So, and again nothing against Breeze who's a hero for all this work... I'm finding some of the rankings unsatisfying. Nothing against Divinyls, it's a fine catchy song and a worthy player somewhere in here... but if you asked 100 musically knowledgeable people which would rank higher here between "I Touch Myself" and (randomly up on my Spotify now) "I love The Night Life," would the response be a lot more than 60/40 either way? I don't think so. And yet, these composites end up ranking them far, far apart.

What other "greatest" list makes that logic work okay? You rank all time baseball players, and if you take a guy rated by most people at #6 (idano, Ted Williams?) and you decide to put him at #212, you are banned from any further discussion, right?

How many songs could possibly appear as #1 on this list we're unrolling right now, as a composite of multiple group's work? (From the beginning, not excluding the ones we have seen) A hundred? Basically anything on this list? Where else is the crown that up for grabs?

Is it just the nature of music that does this? You can look at sales or weekly/yearly rankings, but that doesn't really capture "impact." I think that's the answer here, but it's peculiar.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote