View Single Post
Old 07-19-2019, 11:51 AM   #218
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Is it just the nature of music that does this? You can look at sales or weekly/yearly rankings, but that doesn't really capture "impact." I think that's the answer here, but it's peculiar.

Maybe just the nature of music, but maybe its related to available data and ways to analyze it. I'd love to see some of the creators of the original lists response to our overall ranking. The two unranked for the Macarena, when its #1 on one list and top 10 in two others - is it excluded for a specific reason, did some individual just subjectively hate the song so they left it off, or would there be a lot of responses of "holy crap we forgot about that song entirely, whoops."

I think there would be a lot of that final option. Using the baseball comparison, anyone compiling a greatest players of all time list has so much easy access to so much data that's already presented in easily sortable fashion, it should be impossible to play around with the data and just forget that Ted Williams existed via a brain fart and leave him off completely.

Since most of these lists come up from analyzing a 70 years of a single weekly top 100 chart, having to subjectively decide which songs qualify - the "whoopsie" impact is probably huge here, and for a compilation of lists it has the potential to throw things off in a huge way.

Last edited by Radii : 07-19-2019 at 11:52 AM.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote