View Single Post
Old 09-04-2012, 11:03 AM   #46
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Well crap, I almost msgd you when I saw the score Friday night but figured you'd knew even before I did.

There was a pretty good article in the Ledger or somewhere in the run up to the game about how the (now former) AD who scheduled the game talked about it just making sense because the two schools were actually pretty similar demographically (which I didn't realize).
Hmmm...unless they've done some really funky redistricting of Columbus schools, I don't see how that could be the case. Columbus High is physically located maybe a half mile or so from the Columbus Country Club, so I'm sure you can imagine the demographic in the school's immediate vicinity. However, some high-profile black athletes have gone there, most famous amongst 'em being The Big Hurt. There are quite a few working-class black neighborhoods within 3ish miles of the school, in pretty much every direction, and a few very poor black and white neighborhoods as well that range. You'd have to be trying pretty hard to make it look like a private school in order to set the districts in a way to have Brookstone and Columbus have similar demographics, I would think. Although the other factor the former AD may be referring to could be just pure racial percentages. Since the mid-80s, BHS has been unapologetic and aggressive about attempting to raid the public school system for its best black students and student-athlete types, and of course over time more black people of financial means have emerged who might just send their kids there anyway. Judging from the prom pictures of their kids and kids' friends that some friends have posted on FB, the school appears to have a significantly larger black population than it did when I was there. However, with tuition approaching $15K per year, I'm guessing that they're not getting the same black demographic that traditionally goes to CHS.