View Single Post
Old 04-26-2016, 07:55 AM   #6
QuikSand
lolzcat

So, FOOL ran training camp.. not the super-exciting stage it once was back in the olden days of FOF, but still meaningful. BenELou runs the league, and that means it comes complete with a battery of awesome toys - like a solid analysis of the rookie class before it becomes "final."

Here's the post-camp thread:
FOOL DELIGHTFUL AND DIRTY DOZENS

And if this sounds like an advertisement for BELCO leagues, well, it is. He's the man.

Anyway - here's the bottom line for Baltimore:

-Five of our draft picks are graded as "meaningful" -- our guys from rounds 1,2,3,5,7. I think I already cut the others even before camp. That collectively ranks us 12th in the league -- drafting from position 1.23 and on down, that's not too bad.

-C Josue Doyle (pick 1.23) looks okay to me - 36/68 by my scout, but slightly more pass blocking than run blocking, which isn't really what I wanted from a first round center. (To merit that early a pick, I was hoping for a 40/80 guy with a 90 future in run blocking) So, he'll be fine and needed, but not a massive impact player. I'll have to decide whether he's a center or guard for the long haul - he switches at 93/94%, and that may make sense, especially if he's not a star road grader.

-Elsewhere in the draft, it looks like 2nd round CB Brendan Grubbs will be what I hoped for -- a rotation-level cover man, ace special teamer, and very good kick returner. WR Bennie Burns, our 4th rounder, is a profile I kinda like - decent skills but almost nothing at route running, meaning he's bound for a role like WR4 if he sticks for a few years, mostly staying out of the way of guys with actual talent. Other draftees are marginal contributors, I think, nothing special.

We'll watch in the preseason stages for ratings movement, where it matters more. I need to cut ten players for that stage, and many of our younger "chaff" players are going to be pitted up against veterans for bubble spots... it's just the nature of playing the way I do. It's tough to know whether this team is in a "go for it" mode at any point. With a hobo at QB, it's tough to feel like this is the year to really push in and hold on to veterans for cohesion, etc... but if that year never comes, then what are you building toward?
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote