View Single Post
Old 02-11-2019, 08:26 PM   #31
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Special interest meaning non-white male. My oldest has been screwed several times by because he is not a minority. It was worse in Memphis than here. He wound up in the principal’s office several times because when some one was doing something wrong he would go to the teachers with it (bullying, etc.). It got to the point where teachers would email or call my wife or me at home to give the actual account of what happened at school. My wife and I have a policy that if either child gets sent down to the principal’s office there will be discipline of some sort. It got to the point where he started asking why bother going to the authorities if you could the perps could just lie and and get out of trouble. Which turned into questioning whether or not you should do the right thing.

You have kids vandalizing school property, getting into fights, or using racial epithets, and these are punished with detention or ISS. He gets OSS for his. For the record, I do not think he really realizes what the joke implies fully. From my point of view, that is another reason not to tell it in the first place.

To answer cuervo, there needs to be a pattern. One comment is an error in judgement or could be a faux pax. In Lathum’s example, I understand Jon’s point. If the friend just sits up and makes room for the guy, there is no reason for him to flub the response. If he constantly said it during the flight or made other comments, he is probably harassing her. If he was quiet the rest of the flight, the guy probably realizes how he came across and is hoping nothing else is said.

As far as gay guys making innuendo to me, not a problem. I have had it done to me. It wasn’t that big of a deal. Then again, I have a relatively thick skin about such matters. I am more worried about how what I say is interpreted rather than what is said to me. The only time I was aggravated by this was when the gay RA in college started telling all the guys their GP (gay potential) at dinner. My issue there was it was completely changing the subject from a serious discussion the guy joined us in the middle of.

Last edited by Warhammer : 02-11-2019 at 08:28 PM.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote