View Single Post
Old 07-14-2014, 02:22 AM   #82
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

3.27 vs. Persipon(8-3-8, 7th) An early goal from Yogi held up until a late equalizer, and we could only get the one despite 24 shots in a draw for our first meeting. Overall we are 0-2-1 against Persipon, but are solid 4-5 favorites here today. We've got everyone ready to go except for Oropka who has a cold but shouldn't even be needed, so it's just as important for me to keep everyone healthy and get a couple guys back in shape as it is for us to get a result.

Persipon was recently knocked out of qualification contention, there are mathematically still six teams in the race for the two spots.

4' -- Each side has had a tight-angle shot go off-target, and now they miss a good try at a freekick. We're not off to a particularly good start.

9' -- Sutanto leads Yogi behind the defense, he hits it right at Lukman and it's blocked out. Should have done better with that, it was a clear opening.

Meanwhile, Persisko, our closest rival at the moment four points back, takes an early lead on PSKT.

We didn't score, but that sequence seemed to spark us to some better play and we were able to stay on the attack for a while.

14' -- Nearly a goal for Yarangga as he's just a hair high on a freekick try.

24' -- They've had very little play for a while now, and off a turnover Yarangga threads the needle up the right side for Saragih, he's in close for an angled shot ... off the right post ... off Lukman's leg ... out for a corner. So very close . ..

The corner bounces around but is eventually cleared, we hold it in and try to attack again, Ewangin goes down in the area no call and we get nothing.

27' -- Some nice passing gets it to Yogi mid-area, he tries to get a shot through traffic but it hits Ewangin who is offside.

After about twenty minutes of being shut down, they are producing a bit more counterplay.

34' -- Ewangin is high on a close freekick. A couple minutes later he's high again on an angled shot from distance. Definitely having trouble finding the range today, and it looks like he's about had as much as he can handle fatigue-wise. I put in Bayhaqi and Yogi takes the lead position.

40' -- We've got numbers on the right side, but try to get too cute. Herlan passes up a good shot to get it to Bayhaqi, but he should have just fired. They knock it out before we can get anything.

HT -- We controlled the last several minutes well and enter the break having played well enough to win but nothing to show for it yet. We have 58% possession, 10-3 in shots and all of theirs came early(3-0 on target), 5-0 in corners, two good chances neither of which we converted, but the bottom line is it's still 0-0. We need to convert our advantage.

The rest of the remaining qualification contenders:

Perssin is rather shockingly still tied at home 0-0 with Persemalra(who has been coming on lately and looks likely to avoid relegation, but still).

Persisko still leads PSKT 1-0.

Persebangga and Persibom have their games tomorrow.

47' -- A long freekick by Bayhaqi almost goes in accidentally. As it is we get corner number six out of it.

For a while, nobody gets anything going, but at the one-hour mark Persemalra goes up by a goal on Perssin.

61' -- Yarangga with a takeaway just over midfield, Sutanto brings it on the left side and hits one forward ... looks like it's to Yogi but Bayhaqi is there open on the right side, he'll have to volley it and beats Lukman easily inside the near post! We finally get our goal, and take the lead 1-0!!

62' -- Meanwhile, three goals in three minutes now as Perssin is up 2-1 on Persemalra. Looks like they just needed waking up.

69' -- Their first shot in about an hour is a 35-yard freekick that's simply sent into orbit.

72' -- Patay's hurt a bit and we put on Prasetyo, no reason to take any chances here. He's had himself a very solid game.

77' -- Persemalra shows fight and evens it up at 2-all.

80' -- A snap half-volley by Yogi tries to catch them by surprise, just outside the area, it's a decent try but wide left. His effort has been good day, execution not so much.

82' -- We have a corner and then a following inbounds, both lead to the ball bouncing around in the box, but we don't get the one lucky bounce to put it in.

88' -- Sutanto to Yogi to Bayhaqi, unselfish passing up the middle on a counter, Bayhaqi had what I thought was a gimme but Siswanto got his hands up to block it away. He's one of the best keepers in the league and showed why there.

91' -- Muda clears out a cross on their most dangerous rush of the game -- I'd be so ticked if we ended up with a draw now.

FT -- Tenser than it should have been, we survive for a 1-0 victory with Sutanto and Bayhaqi stealing the show. I get on perfectionist Yogi for an all-around subpar day and he gets fired up to do better. That guy, I swear criticism is mother's milk to him.

For the first time in my career, we do not surrender an on-target shot. We also go over 300 attendance for the first time, a whopping 353! That's more than we had last year in it's entirety ...

Patay is diagnosed with a thigh strain, and will be out a month-plus. We couldn't just stay healthy, that'd be too much. Prasetyo can fill in for him, he's not as good but not far off.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote