View Single Post
Old 07-15-2014, 02:25 PM   #88
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

4.25 @ Persmin(first match for both). They are 6-4 favorites at home, and the experts on the day are picking them as well.

My strategy here is to play semi-conservative with a countering style, looking for at least a draw here. A draw here and a win at home in the second game would put us in strong position for the away finale. We saw what happened to Persemalra when they won Group D and failed to advance, and I certainly don't want to put Persigubin in that position.

Persmin plays the 4-1-2-2-1 'V' formation, which we've seen a bit of already this year. They have five players out injured, while we will go without two(Bayhaqi and Herlan) important ones.

Here we go!! I tell the boys they know what to do, time for the talking to be over and the doing to begin.

2' -- Fireworks right away. Their left-back Gapura breaks up a couple of attacking moves, Yarangga has a nice to play to intercept and we hold it back in. Ewangin gets it in the area but he's doubled and can't get anything off. Saputra to Sutanto just left of the spot from 16, he first-times it to the near post ... but a diving save by Perwira, he showed good range and athleticism there to push it out, I thought that was a goal and it nearly was.

A good start though.

5' -- A corner goes near post, a crowd is there and Kombo makes the clearance. Big play.

After about the ten-minute mark they seem to have adjusted to us and are controlling the ball much better, we're on the back foot most of the time.

18' -- Sharp-angle shot by Usmanto is into the side.

19' -- Usmanto with a cross this time, they get a header to it in the box and that's gotta be a score ... no, Ferminus is close enough to block it somehow! Muda clears ... Wayega couldn't have been more than 2 yards for the goal, and Ferminus just reached out has hand and batted it away. They hold it in and Affandi puts one wide from 17 yards ... if they keep going like this they will score and it probably won't take them long. We need to find a way to go back on the attack.

They continue to dominate the ball, we're really up against it the last 20 minutes or so but we do better at staying tight and not allowing any good looks.

31' -- They center it and Muda comes too far forward, he misjudged that one and Wayega has it behind him! one-on-one all alone in on Ferminus, beats him to the left side ... but it hits the post and bounces straight back! Wayega tackles it away from Saragih, it sits there rolling a bit inside the box ... Saragih recovers and clears it. Oh my, we are just dodging bullets right and left here.

They inbound and center, close header for Nugroho just outside the box -- diving save by Ferminus and it rolls wide of the goal. Muda pushes it out for a corner, and you can just tell everyone is waiting for them to finally break through.

Finally we start to fight back a little. They're still the superior team, but we have our moments with the ball.

HT -- We're very fortunate to still be in this. They have a 7-3 edge in shots and 59% possession. All we can do is try to hang in.

Second starts with a two-man game on the right with Ewangin and Saragih. Their defense is disciplined though and we get only a corner which they clear out.

61' -- Back and forth it goes, sometimes Persmin looks like they're about to put the hammer down, sometimes we gain equality for a bit. Saputra to Saragih on the counter, centers for Ewangin who is into the area, tackled from behind, goes down no call, and we have a corner. Out for another one. Cleared.

Prasetyo comes on for Patay, who was solid though unspectacular.

65' -- An absolute gift as Nugroho is carded for tripping Adie. We have had three occasions where we could have reasonably been booked and they've been lenient, so I'd be mighty ticked were I on the opposite side.

It's looking like we might be able to hold them off, but I know how good we are at the late concession.

76' -- A crack for Yogi just inside the right of the area, well wide. Adie is done, Ningmabin on for him as I try to keep us as fresh as possible.

77' -- Yellow for Yarangga as the intensity is picking up on both sides. Well, that means he won't be around for our next match. Fantastic.

Two minutes later, he gets another and he's gone. We have ten minutes left plus injury time, and will have to do it without the heart of our midfield. I use our last sub and bring on Urwan for Sutanto, going to five at the back(5-2-1-1). We need to hold them out, and will only attack if there's a clear opening.

Ten freaking minutes.

85' -- They bobble a cross by Kombo, and we get a corner. Sure, I'll take it. Prasetyo sends it in, easily cleared.

We contest well and give them nothing, excellent defense.

FT -- We almost certainly should have lost this one, even though we had our moments early. A scoreless draw isn't exactly our game, but it's a gift here. They outshot us 9-6(3-1 on target) and had 55% possession, and we were very fortunate more than once they did not score.

Saragih is player of the match and he had one of his best matches of the year, effective up and down the pitch. Yarangga was playing hard in high-intensity situations at the end of a long game -- I decide not to fine him for this one.

Meanwhile, Persibom loses 3-2 in their first game and will now have ground to make up. In our group, Persid lost 1-0 to Persikad.

13,560 attended -- which is several times the capacity of our stadium. Perhaps that's one reason why we only get to host one ...
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote