View Single Post
Old 02-05-2015, 12:24 AM   #634
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Sat. October 4, 2025

Barclays Premier League
Sheffield United (0-1-4, 1 point, 20th) vs. Dover (6-0-0, 18 points, 1st)
Bramall Lane, Sheffield, England

Betting Odds: Sheffield United: 7-1 Draw: 3-1 Dover: 1-3 (Favourites)
Past Meetings: 5W 2D 2L

Sheffield United have spent most of this dynasty in the Championship but are now in their second consecutive year in the top flight. They barely escaped relegation last year, finishing 17th and they are at the bottom of the table through their first five games this year. They brought in 11 players during the summer transfer window but were frugal spenders, splashing only £6.25 million in total. They have a couple of famous veterans in Raheem Sterling and Gylfi Sigurosson but neither are impact players anymore. Marcello Trotta was their leading scorer last year but he’s now 33 years old and may be a spare part.

We are coming up on an international break so I can go with a full lineup today. I’m a bit leery of starting Chiquinho after my opposite number comes out in the press and says he’s our main man, something that usually stresses him out. But with a two week break coming, I feel I have to start him - plus, he’s off to a wonderful start. The only change to our lineup today is the return of Claudio Contreras, who was suspended for our Champions League game. We are HUGE favourites today and we need a result.

Dover: 4-4-2 Control
GK - I. Wilke
D - Renato Gaucho, C. Contreras, R. Hamon, S. Loucif
M - M. Pedersen, B. Raab, Jose, G. Bolis
S - P. Moses, Chiquinho
Bench - Rafinha, R. Lopez, M. Mutesa, N. Cairney, P. Secchi, Z. Bardi, M. Lugo

Sheffield United are in a very defensive 4-2-2-2, with two defensive central mids, two wide midfielders and two strikers. Mahatma Otoo and Angel Egana are the strikers and Adrian Smith is in goal. I tell the team I expect a win today.

33’ - We control the game early but you can tell Sheffield are gaining confidence with each passing minute in the scoreless game. Thankfully, we’re able to finally break through, as Jose takes a little header from Benedikt Raab at the top of the area, cuts right and then shoots hard back across his body into the lower left portion of the goal. That’s Jose’s first of the year. DOVER GOAL 1-0

HALFTIME - The short pitch seems to be negating our speed, as Sheffield United are definitely keeping up with us today. They actually hold a possession edge (52%) but we outshoot them 12-6 (4-3 on target). We need to be better than this! I encourage the players at half time.

64’ - We just can’t generate any chances against these guys today. Our goal scorer Jose comes off, as he’s a bit tired and has a yellow card and in comes Neil Cairney.

72’ - Well, I was right about Chiquinho - the guy simply sucks when he’s called out and I pull him off for Zoltan Bardi.

83’ - We have a free kick from just outside the area but Sheffield head it out. Salim Loucif passes to Cairney and from way out, he sends a ridiculous, curling blast that bends just inside the far post and IN! SPECTACULAR GOAL FROM CAIRNEY!!! DOVER GOAL 2-0

Not our best but it was good enough.

Sheffield United 0 - 2 Dover
Goals - Jose (7.8), Neil Cairney (8.1)
Assists - Salim Loucif (7.1), Benedikt Raab (7.7)
Man of the Match - Neil Cairney
Other Dover Notables - Rayane Hamon (7.0), Claudio Contreras (7.6), Renato Gaucho (7.3)
Attendance - 31,925

Sheffield held 52% of the ball but we outshoot them 24-8 (8-3 on target). Chiquinho (6.2) and Moses (6.4) just couldn’t get loose on the short field today. Cairney is named Man of the Match despite playing only 25 minutes.

-- In other action, Aston Villa hold Man City to a scoreless draw, Huddersfield continue their hot start with a 1-0 win over Reading and Sunderland knock off Southampton 2-1. Man United win 2-0 over Arsenal and Liverpool win by the same scoreline over Middlesbrough.

BARCLAYS PREMIER LEAGUE - STANDINGS
(ALL TEAMS HAVE PLAYED 7 GAMES UNLESS NOTED)

1. Dover - 21 points
2. Manchester United - 19 points
3. Manchester City - 19 points
4. Liverpool - 14 points
----------------------------------------------------
5. Huddersfield - 13 points
6. Sunderland - 11 points (after 6 games)
7. Wolves - 10 points
----------------------------------------------------

Dover U18 Update

-- Freddie Laird scores two goals in a 5-0 win over Aldershot. Nathan Protheroe, Marcus Sowter and Stuart Cousins notch singles and Sowter adds two assists in the match.

International Update

-- Luis Miguel Garcia (Mexico U20), Michel Benard and Jonathan Langlet (France U20) continue to play well in the U20 World Cup.

-- Other players suiting up for their countries include Mads Pedersen (Denmark), Rodolfo Lopez (Argentina - one assist), Claudio Contreras (Argentina), Salim Loucif (Algeria - one assist), Gianluca Bolis (Italy), Paul Moses (England - one goal), Chris Davies (England), Rayane Hamon (France), Chiquinho (Belgium - one goal), Jose (Brazil - one goal), Adrian Torres (Spain U21) and Mwemere Mutesa (Ghana).

Premier League Team of the Week

-- Neil Cairney is selected to the Barclays Premier League team of the week after his sensational goal on Saturday.

Dover Injury Update

-- Lots of injuries at the moment! Emmerson Harvey (Hernia) and Andy Broomes (strained ankle ligaments) are just returning to full training. Arsene Bamba (torn hamstring) is a couple weeks away and we have numerous players on the U18 team or on loan that are hurt as well.

Future Transfer IN

-- We come to terms with 17 year old Argentine defender Emmanuel Gonzalez and we’ll have to compensate his Brazilian club Independiente £1.4 million. The transfer won’t go through until July 2026, when Gonzalez turns 18. He’s a 3.5 star DC prospect and will suit up for our U18 squad next season.

Dover Reserves Update

-- We have three reserves games during the international break. First, we defeat Derby 2-1 behind goals from Zoltan Bardi and Manuel Lugo. In the second game, we destroy Chelsea’s reserves 7-2. In that game, Lugo strikes for a hat trick while adding an assist and we get singles from Andy Broomes, Andrew Hunter, Bardi and a Chelsea own goal. In our final game, we squeak by Arsenal’s reserves 2-1 and young Fernando Estrada comes off the bench to score a goal and add an assist on a Broomes marker.

Croatia???

-- I’ve been managing Dover for over 15 years now and for the first time ever, I’m offered a managerial position internationally, as Croatia fire Ivan Bosnjak and make a formal offer to me. Croatia are rated 21st in the world at the moment - of course, I reject the offer but it’s cool to finally get a chance at a position.

New Signing

-- We sign free agent goalkeeper Ross Peake to a youth contract. He’s not a prospect at all but I need a goalkeeper who can play on the reserves team - see, the last two reserves games, I’ve been forced to start our main man, Ingo Wilke, as Chris Davies and our other two U18 goalkeepers have been away on international duty. This will likely continue to happen so I wanted a scrubby keeper to take on those responsibilities.

Next Up

-- We are huge favourites at home, as we prepare to face mid-table Newcastle at Crabble Athletic Ground.
NoSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote