View Single Post
Old 02-08-2015, 08:15 PM   #642
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Sat. November 22, 2025

Barclays Premier League
Dover (11-0-0, 33 points, 1st) vs. Middlesbrough (4-3-5, 15 points, 13th)
Crabble Athletic Ground, Dover, England

Betting Odds: Dover: 1-4 (Favourites) Draw: 4-1 Middlesbrough: 9-1
Past Meetings: 10W 2D 4L

Middlesbrough have been in the Premier League since 2010 and are a perennial mid-table club, finishing 13th last year and that’s where they stand this year. They brought in nine players during the transfer season at a modest total of £5.75 million, including our former U18 keeper Steven Potter. 28 year old striker Roland Hoxha is their danger man and has six goals in 10 matches thus far after scoring 28 goals last year! We’ll need to watch him closely.

Well, we’re coming off an international break and a number of players return to the team a bit tired. We have a mid-week Champions League matchup in Spain against Real Madrid so I’ll be going with a rotated squad today. Chiquinho will not even dress today after my opposite number calls him out as our top player - that is a recipe for a poor game for Chiquinho so I won’t even test the theory today. Starting in his place will be Andy Broomes and Manuel Lugo will be on the bench. Also starting today are Emmerson Harvey (for a tired Jose), Sergio De la Vega, Mwemere Mutesa and Chris Davies will start in goal, as Ingo Wilke is just getting over food poisoning.

Dover: 4-4-2 Control
GK - C. Davies
D - Renato Gaucho, C. Contreras, M. Mutesa, S. Loucif
M - A. Bamba, E. Harvey, B. Raab, S. De la Vega
S - P. Moses, A. Broomes
Bench - R. Lopez, A. Torres, P. Secchi, N. Cairney, G. Bolis, Rafinha, M. Lugo

3-5-2 formation for Middlesbrough and I totally expect them to fall back into a 5-3-2 at some point. Hoxha is up front with Robert Stoll and Acaymo Covelo is in goal. We’re big favourites and I tell the team I expect a win today.

25’ - Only a minute or so after being sent in on a breakaway but missing his chance, Paul Moses gets another break. He’s forced to the left byline, cuts back inside then delivers a DELICIOUS pass to Andy Broomes, who is following up the play and it’s an easy tap in. Superb pass from Moses, great finish from Broomes and we’re ahead! DOVER GOAL 1-0

As expected Middlesbrough drop into a 5-3-2.

27’ - We march right back down the field and a desperation cross from Arsene Bamba is bobbled by Covelo and the rebound pops right to that man Broomes and it’s another tap in! Two for Broomes!!! DOVER GOAL 2-0

HALFTIME - We’re in complete control here with 62% possession and a 20-2 (7-1 on target) shot advantage. We can’t get sloppy here but I’m very pleased, especially with a number of backups in today.

65’ - A bit of an uneasy start to the second half, as Middlesbrough have been taking the play to us and more importantly, we’ve been persistent with our fouling. Thankfully, we get additional cushion when a Benedikt Raab corner kick is headed in by Paul Moses, a rare header from the little man! DOVER GOAL 3-0

70’ - Double substitution, as we take out Moses and Raab and bring in Manuel Lugo and Paolo Secchi.

81’ - Our last substitution sees Rodolfo Lopez come on for Salim Loucif.

We continue our streak!

Dover 3 - 0 Middlesbrough
Goals - Andy Broomes 2 (8.8), Paul Moses (8.4)
Assists - Benedikt Raab (7.8), Arsene Bamba (7.3), Paul Moses
Man of the Match - Andy Broomes
Other Dover Notables - Ingo Wilke (7.3), Salim Loucif (7.3), Mwemere Mutesa (7.4), Claudio Conteras (7.6), Renato Gaucho (7.6)
Attendance - 21,964

Solid! 60% of possession and a 30-5 (10-2 on target) shot advantage. Broomes was great.

-- In other action, Man United and Sunderland battle to a scoreless draw, Spurs beat Hull 2-0, Aston Villa win 1-0 over Reading, Liverpool upend Sheffield Wednesday 2-1 and Man City beat Newcastle by the same scoreline.

BARCLAYS PREMIER LEAGUE - STANDINGS
(ALL TEAMS HAVE PLAYED 13 GAMES UNLESS NOTED)

1. Dover - 36 points (after 12 games)
2. Manchester City - 32 points
3. Manchester United - 30 points
4. Liverpool - 27 points
----------------------------------------------------
5. Tottenham - 21 points (after 12 games)
6. Everton - 19 points
7. Aston Villa - 19 points
----------------------------------------------------

Premier League Team of the Week

-- Andy Broomes is named to the Barclays Premier League team of the week.

Next Up

-- We travel to Spain to take on Real Madrid in Champions League Group D play.

Last edited by NoSkillz : 02-08-2015 at 08:16 PM.
NoSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote