View Single Post
Old 07-02-2019, 11:30 AM   #69
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

15 September 2016

We welcomed our new class of youth candidates today. It isn't a very deep class; there are only a few lads who look like they'll be good enough for our first team one day. Still, there's some quality at the top of the class.

According to HOYD Ole Morten Reinum, the most promising player in the group is Lee O'Farrell. He is comfortable playing anywhere along the back line. I like his marking and tackling ability, and he is fast enough to keep up with pacey strikers. However, his Unambitious personality is a concern, and our coaches mention his distaste for big matches.

I like Mike Devaney a bit more myself. His work rate is outstanding, he is a sure tackler, and he won't get his head down when things don't go his way. He needs to gain strength and stamina, but he's got time. He scored the only goal when the Youth Candidates beat our U19s, 1-0, in their trial match.

Evan McManus looks like he could develop into a creative central midfielder, somewhat in the mold of Kieron Russell, but with more pace. I also like his Professional personality and determined attitude. He might come closer to fulfilling his potential than any member of his class.

I offered contracts to each of those players, along with Declan Gallagher, Michael Roberts, Ian Walton, Peter Curtis, Mike Howley, Joep Polman, and Ciaran Martin. In a few cases, the player's personality made the difference.
Greyfriars Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote