View Single Post
Old 07-03-2019, 06:36 PM   #72
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

There's so much going on now that I'm going to write separate updates for domestic football and European competitions. First, let's look at how our Premier Division and Senior Challenge Cup campaigns turned out.

27 October 2016

Playing in three different competitions in September and October took its toll on our squad, despite my best attempts to keep that from happening. We weren't nearly as sharp during our last few weeks of league play. And, with St. Pat's Athletic nipping at our heels, we couldn't afford to slip up too much.

Dundalk are a very good side, and they ended the season in good form. You'll see that when you look at the final league table. A 1-1 draw, at their grounds, is therefore a reasonable result. However, we ought to have done better than that away to Drogheda United, and we shouldn't need a late wondergoal from Gareth Kearney to see off Bohemians.

The Sligo Rovers game was a neutral's delight. Their star striker, Lee Cahill, opened the scoring, and every time we pulled level, Cahill struck again. Finally, when a different Rovers player--Lee Brennan--found the net, we couldn't return serve.

The result was tough to take, but the disappointment was tempered somewhat by the news from Dublin. There, at Richmond Park, Dundalk defeated St. Pat's, 3-0...and that result handed the Premier Division title to us!

It's not the way I want to win league championships, but the trophy is ours nonetheless. And, we'll be back in the Champions Cup field again, too.

We finished with two fewer points than we did in 2015, largely due to our autumnal fade. St. Pat's and Dundalk qualified for the EURO Cup due to their league position, while Bohemians will also play in Europe...you'll see why in a moment.

You've seen some of the results from our Challenge Cup run already. There they are, all together, and you can see the ending was far from the one I would have scripted.

We bottled it. It's as simple as that. We had a 2-0 lead until the 87th minute, after which we conceded two quick goals. Neither team scored in extra time, and we lost on penalties--Gareth Kearney fired wide, and Patrick Lynch's shot was turned away by Danny O'Brien. When Bohemians midfielder Matt Traynor fired a terrific penalty past Darcy Bradford's outstretched glove, their victory was secure.

Nevertheless, it's hard to find much wrong with a season in which we defended our league championship.
Greyfriars Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote