View Single Post
Old 07-03-2019, 07:40 PM   #73
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

1 December 2016
The EURO Cup

I was under no illusions concerning our chances of making it out of our group in the EURO Cup. At this stage of the tournament, there are no pushovers left around. If there are, they're seeded fourth like we were, so we won't be placed in the same group. I simply wanted to keep the matches close and avoid embarrassment.

The highlight of the tournament for us was Patrick Lynch's goal against AS Monaco. It began with a clearance by Roy Murphy that Barry Asher headed down to Kieron Russell just behind the midline. Russell played a speculative long pass up the middle. Biro-Biro leapt to head it and missed, which gave Lynch the opportunity to run onto it. Patrick controlled the ball at the edge of the penalty box, with Rony Heyvaert running with him, stride for stride.

Then the magic began. With his right foot, Patrick swept the ball across his body, in front of Heyvaert. As the Belgium international's momentum carried him past the ball, Patrick slipped behind him, took the ball on his left foot, and lofted it past the goalkeeper into the net. It was our only shot of the match, but what a shot it was.

At 17, Lynch lacks consistency. There are matches when he completely disappears. And, then, there are moments when he does something like this, something that makes me realize what a talent we're getting to enjoy.

I think we acquitted ourselves well. Nobody hit us for an outrageous number of goals, and we managed to score at least once against all three of our opponents.

We played before crowds of 49,171 in Hamburg, 8,973 in Monaco, and 44,934 in Bilbao. We traveled to three exciting, vibrant cities, which gave all of us a chance to gain a perspective of the world beyond Galway Bay.

Hopefully we'll be back to do it again.

Last edited by Greyfriars Bobby : 07-03-2019 at 07:41 PM.
Greyfriars Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote