View Single Post
Old 07-08-2019, 12:59 AM   #75
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

4 March 2017

The preseason is complete, and it's time to meet the 2017 Galway United squad. The star ratings are provided by Assistant Manager Dennis De Jonge (rated 12 for judging both current and potential ability).

You'll see a number of unfamiliar names on the squad list this year. The opportunity to play European football has attracted a higher class of footballers to Galway. Players who wouldn't have given us a thought before are now within our reach. At the same time, our increased income allows us to afford some of them.

I'm trying to bring enough new men in to strengthen the team, while still preserving its core. It's not an easy balance to reach, but it's a fun problem to have.

Goalkeepers

The same three glovemen return to the team this year. Bradford was the best 'keeper in the league last year, and he's still getting better. Van der Steen is a promising backup, and he's a good insurance policy in case Darcy ever decides he'd like to try his luck in a better league. Forde is a capable third choice, and a true professional.

Defenders

I was very happy to learn that Liverpool was willing to send McCarthy to us on loan for another season. He's earned seven caps for Wales at the U21 level. He'll start at right back, with Kelly in reserve. Derek also serves as a coach for our U19s, and he can still put in a shift.

O'Callaghan will begin his first full season with us on the left side. The versatile Sweeney will provide cover all along that side of our formation. I'll also look to get Zonneveld into some matches. He enjoyed a fine season with our U19s last year, and he's ready for a bit of first team action.

Murphy needs no introduction. He is our most popular player and, as good as he is, he's still only 21. He'll be paired with either Glynn or Lawless. Everton seems very satisfied to send Glynn to us every year, and I'm just as happy to welcome him back. He's slightly more comfortable on the ball than Lawless, but our staff rate John a bit more highly. Glynn can also play right back.

Connolly has become increasingly frustrated with his inability to break into our first team, and would probably welcome a change of scenery. Sikumoya is our player now, signed on a free after Chelsea released him. He'll fill in all along the defensive line and at defensive midfielder, too.

Central Midfielders

I'm excited to see how Asher will do this year, with a full preseason under his belt. He'll begin the season as our number six, playing in front of our back four. O'Connor played there most of last season and did well, but he also did just fine playing as the more defensive partner in our CM duo.

Scully is the league's most skillful creative midfielder. He's pushed Russell into a reserve role, but Kieron's professionalism has enabled him to accept his new role gracefully. Billy Ryan couldn't, so he's not with the team anymore...and nobody else has picked him up, either.

Kearney played on the right last year and was splendid, contributing to 28 goals in all competitions. Would he be even more effective in the middle of the park, where he's supposedly more comfortable?

Player-coach Brennan is a solid reserve who is tough defensively.

I ask a lot of the three men in the middle of our formation, so I'm glad I have several players to rotate in when our schedule gets crowded.

Forwards

No, I didn't make a mistake, and you're not mis-reading, either. Patrick Lynch is no longer a Galway United player.

It didn't take long for bigger clubs to notice him. His most ardent suitor was Crystal Palace, who expressed their interest at the beginning of the January transfer period and turned the teenager's head. Somewhat reluctantly, I assured him if the Eagles put in a bid that matched our valuation of him, I'd let him go.

It took the London club a week to make an offer, and it was a fair one. They paid us €240,000 up front, and a list of (easily achieved) milestones will probably raise the price tag to €525,000. I wish Patrick well; I hope he becomes a star at Selhurst Park and an Ireland regular.

There might be three new men playing up front for us this year. We signed White in December and Fearn in January. They're very similar players, but that's a good thing. Both David and Colin are English. They can both play on either wing, but they both prefer their off side; left-footed David on the right; right-footed Colin on the left. They're both quick and shifty.

The odd man out could be Van Daele, who fought injuries throughout the 2016 season. Still, with various domestic cups and the Champions' Cup on our schedule, there should be enough time to go around.

The other new signing could be the biggest of all. O'Shea started at Wolverhampton Wanderers at age nine. He was loaned to Stevenage, where his 13 goals helped fire the Boro's promotion to League One. That wasn't enough to persuade Wolves to keep him. Their loss will be our gain, as Kevin looks like he'll be every bit as productive for us as he was in England. Our players are almost unanimous in their opinion that playing with him will be a treat.

Coughlan and faithful McCabe will provide cover for O'Shea, and Watson returns to the team after a successful year on loan at Longford.

Bright Young Things

We might have lost our most dazzling young star when we sold Lynch to Crystal Palace, but I'm excited about the potential of a number of the young lads we still have around the place.

Two of them are brand-new: Riseth and Joyce. Riseth is the product of our Norwegian connection, and Joyce is a Galway lad whom we acquired from local side Salthill Devon. We were short on attacking talent in our youth team, and these two have lots of potential and personalities that ought to help them develop it fully.

On the other hand, we have Gill and O'Farrell. None of my back room staff have anything positive to say about either boy's personality. Intensive tutoring is on the menu for both of them, because they've both got loads of talent.

Quinn made his first team debut last fall, coming on as a substitute in one of our cup ties. He'll take another step forward this season. Both he and Gill have earned caps at the U19 level.

Last edited by Greyfriars Bobby : 07-22-2019 at 10:19 AM.
Greyfriars Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote