View Single Post
Old 03-22-2008, 10:28 PM   #142
sabotai
General Manager

1926 Year in Review

A better overall year than 1925, that saw a couple of really, really bad movies, but the high points of 1926 were also lower than the high points of 1925. I wasn't really blown away with any movie except for Faust.

The year I experienced was lacking a couple of things. For one, comedies. Only a lackluster film from Keaton. Charlie Chaplin's career is winding down, and won't have another feature-length film until 1928 (The Circus), and after that, City Light (1931) and Modern Times (1936) are his next offerings.

Harold Lloyd did have a movie out in 1926 (For Heaven's Sake), but it is not available on Netflix (It may have been on one of the Collections, but I didn't see it). Lloyd will continue to make a movie a year for a bit, but once the "talkies" take over, Lloyd's career fades pretty quickly as well (He'll make a movie every 2 years from 1930 to 1938, and then he makes a movie in 1947 to end his career).

Chaplin will be gone soon, Lloyd will be less visible, but Keaton sticks around for quite some time. It's soon to be seen which comidians step up to fill the void left by Chaplin and Lloyd.

The other thing I noticed missing were the big budget Hollywood epics movies. No Ben-Hur, no Phatom of the Opera. I'm sure there were some, but they either have not gotten to DVD yet or they didn't survive. (Or, I did watch them, and they didn't stand out).

Movies of 1926
1. Faust - 27
2. Die Abenteuer des Prinzen Achmed - 23
3. Flesh and the Devil - 23
4. Son of the Sheik - 23
5. The Black Pirate - 22
6. The Temptress - 21
7. Battling Butler - 18
8. Sparrows - 17
9. Mat - 16
10. The Sea Beast - 14

Movie list for 1927

Berlin: Die Symphonie der Großstadt - German documentary on the city of Berlin
Chang: A Drama of the Wilderness - Documentary of a village in South East Asia
The General - Buster Keaton comedy
Xixiang ji - Chinese drama / romance
La Sirene des tropiques - Josephine Baker drama / romance
Metropolis - Fritz Lang's dystopian Sci-Fil / Thriller
The Jazz Singer - Al Jolson musical drama - first movie to contain some synchronized sound ("Part-Talkie")
The Lodger - Alfred Hitchcock crime drama
It - Clara Bow romance
My Best Girl - Mary Pickford romance
Cat and the Canary - Horror
Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans - F.W.Murnau's first directing job in the US. Romance.
Wings - WWI war / romance movie (If I can find it)

Last edited by sabotai : 04-01-2008 at 06:53 PM.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote