View Single Post
Old 04-13-2015, 04:01 PM   #208
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Okay, so having done this, I still don't know the value of this play, especially in a situation where most of us are not very familiar with Vaimes.

If there is even one wolf who played with Vaimes at BGG or wherever else he plays, then this move is high risk, where you're judging whether or not that person has the experience and knowledge to make a correct read on Vaimes and how he would play this strategy. But chances are the wolves won't have experience with Vaimes, and they will just kill him to eliminate the possibility.

If he is the Martyr, chances are, he just dies tonight and that's a bad move for the village. If he is not the Martyr, then the real Martyr either does or does not protect him. If the Martyr protects him, the Martyr dies and we lose a real role, with no allegiance established for Vaimes. If the Martyr doesn't protect him, then we lose Vaimes, a simple villager.

That last is the best result, as we have no way of stopping a night kill and the wolves will only attack villagers. I could see a small advantage to that last scenario, but not big enough to make this play.

That drove me crazy at BGG; I think it was my first game on day one when I started reading through the thread and it seemed like almost everyone but me already claimed roles. I got votes because I didn't and because I thought it wasn't helpful for people to be doing so. Then got more votes the next day when I posted vote analysis. It's a whole different game over there.

Granted, I liked that they don't go entirely on voting history but have plenty of conversation which leads to getting better reads on people, though a mix of the two approaches works well. I just don't like the mass reveals (especially when many revealing as seers then would post "results" the next day; that can only help the wolves narrow down who is lying).
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote