View Single Post
Old 10-13-2005, 02:51 PM   #43
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
That is sort of correct, but not completely so. Kids don't learn abstract thinking until 11 or 12 and that is when one's moral system is really developing. However, they can tell right from wrong by about age 8 (give or take a year depending on the child.) Kids that are 8 should be able to start understanding rules, and actually tend to "over-follow" rules sometimes.

That being said, what happened with your child isn't that uncommon Frogman and it doesn't make you a bad parent. However, I would encourage you to continue to work on teaching your kid to follow the rules and to help him distinguish right from wrong. From what you told me, I think you handled the situation very well.

Thanks doc, good insight. I'm not so sure about him "over-following" rules though Not that he'd regularly try to find ways around said rules, but he can have a very a very short memory as to what rules exist at times

Teaching Andrew to follow these rules and remind him of said rules is indeed what we try to do whenever something like that happens.

Thanks again.

FM