View Single Post
Old 11-02-2005, 12:35 PM   #125
Radii
Head Coach

Since Oliegirl is still having knee problems, I took Anthony out trick-or-treating Monday night. The highlight of the night was the haunted house. It was a very well done haunted house. We got in line and I asked one of the parents in charge if kids Anthony's age came by. She said "yes, but that's about as young as I'll let in." But Anthony has a good grasp on what's real and what isn't and he was determined to go, even though everyone else in the line was teenagers or older.

The house itself was really well done, the stuff they had was based off of horror movies. In their living room they had the TV set on one of the scenes from the video on The Ring, and a girl comes creeping out from behind the TV, the look was perfect. She gets to the people walking through and grabs one of them and starts shrieking. That was my favorite part b/c i love the movie, but back to Anthony. We then go outside where there are people dressed up like zombies and witches and such, but they obviously paid attention to the older kids and left Anthony alone. We turn a corner and they have a very nice, pitch black setup heading into their garage. They had people popping out from everywhere. Basically, if you were the first person in line, I don't care how old you were, you'd have been quite startled and caught off guard a number of times. But we were in the back of the line and saw it all from a distance.

We got out and Anthony said "What's the big deal, that wasn't scary." I tried to explain the perspective that the guys in the front got a lot more scared than the ones in the back. He didn't get it, but it doesn't matter, he wasn't scared at the haunted house and I think he's quite proud of himself because of it

Fastforward to last night, where he decided to get himself in trouble for absolutely no reason whatsoever. I'm suprised Oliegirl hasn't posted about this yet honestly The teacher gave the kids a pass on Monday homework b/c of Halloween, so last night he had two nights worth of homework to do. Julie asked him about his homework and he'd obviously only done Tuesday night's homework, not Monday's. When Julie asked him about it(just to remind him to get it all done), he told her that he did his homework with his grandmother the night before(he spent the night over there after trick-or-treating). Julie and her mom are real close and they talk multiple times a day, so Julie knew this was a lie. She pressed Atnhony on it and he responded 4 or 5 times with a bigger and bigger lie, enhancing the story and trying to give details about how he did his homework with her. Then when Julie said she'd call 'Grammy' to make sure he broke down and admitted that he'd lied.

She was infuriated, as was I when I got home. We have always made honesty and trust the most important focus with Anthony, and he knows that lying is a *big deal*. Grammy is upset that he used her in his story, so he's in hot water all the way around. He's in some trouble this weekend as a result, but I of course know it'll happen again, but we have to reinforce how important it is to be honest with people, and have to show him that the consequences of lying about something are always worse than what might have happened had he told the truth(in this case, nothing would have happened, he'd have spent 10 more minutes finishing his homework).
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote