View Single Post
Old 11-08-2005, 04:08 PM   #128
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Location: Caught somewhere between Raising Hell and Amazing Grace...
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan
You posted something similar to that in response to my lying story of a few weeks ago, you are steady, that's good

Seriously, I think it's the best way to see it, keep reinforcing to him that lying will usually bring more bad than up front telling the truth. I also try to make him understand that most lies you say will at some point come back to haunt you. Sure, there are those little white lies (Honey, do I look fat to you? NOOOOO! you're perfect ) but it's hard for a kid from 8 to say 12 to understand the difference...

FM

We are consistently working on that...however, I birth very thick skulled children and it hasn't sunk in yet.

After the Tuesday homework incident, Wed was fine, but Thursday I asked if he had homework, he said no. I told him to check his agenda book, which he did and then told me he didn't hve homework. I went to reach for the book and said "well, let me check just in case" and he tries to hide it from me...so I grab it from him and look at the day's assignment - read 30 minutes. I ask if he saw this before he told me he didn't have homework and he says yes...so I immediately ground him for the weekend and lay into him about how dumb it is to lie about stuff (the kicker is he reads himself to sleep for at least 30 minutes every night anyway so it wasn't something I was going to say "go do now"...) and how he'll always get caught and the punishment for lying is always worse than the punishment for whatever you wanted to lie about. We get through the weekend relatively unscathes, a few minor incidents regarding following instructions, but then last night radii calls him down for dinner, asks him on the way down the stairs - did you turn off the lights in your room. Anthony says yes - radii starts up the stairs and says "I want to double check", at which point Anthony freaks out and says "no, don't come up here"...radii tells him not to move, goes upstairs and sure enough the lights are on. So now he is grounded tomorrow after school (it's a half day so this is actually a big deal) and I have had about all I can take of him.

This afternoon, after he gets off the bus - he decides it would be fun to throw a girls backpack on the street...for no reason. So I guess now we are switching from lying to violence. Lucky me. As I have told radii a lot the last week, HIS child is driving me crazy!
oliegirl is offline   Reply With Quote