View Single Post
Old 04-13-2016, 08:51 PM   #36
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
A couple of weekends ago my Dad and I took a road trip to Socorro, NM. It was one of the two Saturdays each year that they open Trinity Site up to the public. So we went and toured the area, stood at ground zero, and went to the house where they put the plutonium core together for the test.

Afterwards, we headed out to the Very Large Array, which does a huge open house on the weekends when Trinity Site is open. That was really cool. They took us to the operations room, we got to talk to a bunch of the scientists, and got to stand at the base of one of the huge dishes as it was being pointed to a new section of the sky.

The things they can do with the Array are incredible. They said they listen for radio signals so faint, that if you were to use a normal remote control for a toy car on the moon, it would several magnitudes stronger than the signals they listen for. They can move the dishes anywhere from being in a cluster of about a kilometer, all the way out to over 20 kilometers.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 04-13-2016 at 08:56 PM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote