View Single Post
Old 11-03-2006, 01:39 PM   #104
DolphinFan1
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime 2 View Post
Background

Like Radii, I feel the need to get into this. I'm 21, in my senior year at college and weigh 270 at 5'10". Growing up I've always been an athlete, in high school I played varsity soccer, basketball, and tennis. I was always a bit bigger than everyone else, but usually hovered around 170-185. During high school at some point I tore my meniscus in my knee, but decided I wanted to finish up my high school athletic time before I had my surgery. As soon as I got to college, the university diet killed me, plus I couldn't really exercise due to my knee being impossible. I had surgery sophomore year, which was great, i started exercising again and dropped 15-20 pounds. Unfortunately, my knee started acting up again, and found out I still had a partial tear and scar tissue. So I have surgery scheduled 2 days after X-Mas this year, but this limits my exercise possibilities until then.

Goal

Ideally, I'd like to drop down to my high school weight, 180 or so but anywhere under 200 I would be ecstatic. I'm not too sure what a good timetable on this is...I've never really had to diet before, since i was so active when i was younger.

Problems

Aside from the knee problem, there are couple things that are killing my weight. First off, I'm a weekend alcoholic, like many college students. I feel though that I'm above and beyond many, drinking 40-50 beers a weekend. It's tough being in college to cut that out, but I think I can reduce my drinking to once a week. Second, the college diet, it's a killer. To go along w/ the drinking, there's usually the drunk off your ass cooking at 3am. But I am in an apartment off-campus now so I can buy my own groceries and eat healthier than on-campus.

Exercise

The knee thing really is a problem until it's fixed this winter. I really can't do much of anything, except walk (and my knee still locks up). The good thing is, I can walk to my classes and back to my apartment (about 3 miles total), and do that 3 times a week. I'll be doing pushups and situps as well.

Diet?

I'm hoping that's where some of you guys can help me out. I'm not really sure what to eat. I don't drink soda, which is a plus. I need to cut out snack foods, especially after dinner. Any suggestions would be great help. I do like chicken and some fish so I could do something like that. But good side dishes, i don't know. Portions is another thing I def. need to cut down on.

Soo...here goes nothing!

Here's the #1 thing I found out with all the reading I do. Forget about organic for now. If you read the ingredients in most everything you eat you'll notice a few constants. High Fructose Corn Syrup is an artificial sweetener and is a weight gainer. Also all your other artificial sweeteners are not good for your body. It can't use them. Also anything with artificial coloring isn't good. Low fat with no calories isn't good. Why? Because with no calories you are still hungry and eat more of something. Mostly though it's the artificial stuff. Since My family and I have started this and paid attention to the ingredients list, we have been amazed at the turnaround.

I am on a quest to show that the Dolphins can win the Super Bowl. Or should I say Front Office Bowl, with FOF2K7.

The revival of an old favorite, FOFC Wrestling Dynasty
DolphinFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote