View Single Post
Old 01-31-2010, 05:29 PM   #22
Swaggs
Coordinator

I'm not too worried about the Big East losing its automatic bid if it only loses one team. With Miami gone, there really isn't one team carrying the league. I am more worried about the Big 10 or ACC deciding that 14 schools is the way to go. That would kill the Big East and probably really kill WVU, as Rutgers, UConn, Syracuse, and Pitt would almost certainly find a home in that scenario.

I'm really hoping that the Big 10 just plucks away one Big 12 team and calls it a day. If the Big 10 grabs Missouri or Nebraska, it won't be a huge loss to the Big 12 (it will be a loss, but not a death blow, by any means) and they can just replace them and keep the 12-school status quo. If the Big 12 decides to go to 14 and only takes one Big East school, I think the ACC will do likewise. So, say the Big 10 goes to 14 and picks up Pitt, Mizzou, and Nebraska -- the ACC will probably go all out for Syracuse, UConn, and Rutgers or (I have heard, if they are willing to up the football program) Villanova. That would leave WVU, Louisville, Cincy, USF, and maybe Rutgers to pick up the pieces and that scenario doesn't sound too appealing.

I think the elephant in the room is what Texas does. The Big 10 could potentially cause a domino effect that would largely destroy both the Big East and Big 12 if it goes to 14 and grabs, say, Texas, Nebraska, and Missouri and then the ACC takes 2 of Pitt, Cuse, UConn, or Rutgers.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote