View Single Post
Old 02-01-2010, 12:52 AM   #40
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
It would just be about gaining a foothold of some sort in Kansas City. Though, for reference, Kansas is almost a suburb, and Kansas State and Missouri are both almost two hours away.

It's hard to find schools that could be part of a major conference.

There are much better cities to get a foothold in than Kansas City. I love Kansas City as much as anybody, but I highly doubt that was one of their big reasons to expand, lol. Syracuse would make better sense if you're wanting a foothold in a major city. Texas would obviously make the best sense, but that wasn't likely to happen. I even saw rumors of the Big Ten looking to add three teams (Nebraska, Kansas, and Missouri) to go to 14. That one made no sense at all IMHO. If you're going to add three then why not Texas, Texas A&M, and one more?

This is the second time where Missouri has all but begged to be let into the Big Ten and weren't invited. This instance was actually worse as they publically proclaimed their interest and criticized the Big 12. Not that the Big 12 shouldn't be criticized, but it's a bit false coming from Missouri given they have sided with the south schools from the beginning and thus they made their bed and should lie in it.

The Big 12 has a great opportunity in the very near future to put themselves into position to be one of the top three conferences in the country. Their next tv contract is going to be looked at very closely given the recent deals of the Big Ten and SEC. I honestly don't have a lot of faith in the current Big 12 leadership, but I'm hoping even they can't screw this up.
the_meanstrosity is offline   Reply With Quote