View Single Post
Old 02-01-2010, 07:48 AM   #45
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_meanstrosity View Post
This is the second time where Missouri has all but begged to be let into the Big Ten and weren't invited. This instance was actually worse as they publically proclaimed their interest and criticized the Big 12. Not that the Big 12 shouldn't be criticized, but it's a bit false coming from Missouri given they have sided with the south schools from the beginning and thus they made their bed and should lie in it.

The Big 12 has a great opportunity in the very near future to put themselves into position to be one of the top three conferences in the country. Their next tv contract is going to be looked at very closely given the recent deals of the Big Ten and SEC. I honestly don't have a lot of faith in the current Big 12 leadership, but I'm hoping even they can't screw this up.

1. Mizzou's board has NOT asked to be invited to the Big 10. That's simply false. The governor has openly said that he'd like to see Mizzou go to the B10, but the board and the AD are both against it.

2. Mizzou has actually benefitted from the current deal due to the structure that rewards TV appearances and results. Mizzou has received more over the last 5 years than they would have if all revenues were split equally over that same time.

3. The current Big 12 financial income is peanuts compared to the Big 10. The pot to be divided in the Big 12 is around $500M. The pot to be divided by the Big 10 schools is $2.6 billion. It's not even remotely close.

I did chat with a couple of people in the Mizzou AD and they mentioned that a Big 12 Network in some form is a strong possibility in the next TV deal. We'll see if that happens.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote