View Single Post
Old 09-23-2019, 05:50 PM   #1203
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Anil Cup
Fourth Annual Club Championship

With the expanded draw, there were byes for all but a smattering of first-round matchups. Also, some weak-minded Anilophiles didn't show up. Most did as usual though.

On the doubles side, top seeds Hughes/Hart stormed through to an easy win as one might expect, beating Hakanson/Moniotte in the final. 2-seeds Pargeter/Narciso lost in the semis to the runners-up, while Guha/Chiba were seeded third. I was curious how they'd fare against a top duo - 6-3, 6-3, 6-2 against the Irish. They're gradually getting more competitive. Kayeeda/Intodia were the final seed, but they lost early on in a tough 5-set match. Kasaravalli/Chittoor went out quickly to nobody's surprise.

On the singles side, we learned that Christy's young guns are ready to move up quickly. Sushant Chiba was knocked out in straight sets by Kayeeda, while Intodia did the same to Helmut Edlund. One other seed was beaten at the first hurdle, when (6) Tommy Fitzpatrick fell once again to Chittoor, 7-6(5), 7-6(6), 4-6, 6-2. Nasir has now won both of their 'official' encounters, beating Fitz here two years ago … but in their practice matches he's generally gotten his brains beat in. This string of fortune won't last forever, but I'll take it. Moniotte eliminated him next time out in a four-set match that he was lucky to stretch that far. Meanwhile, Rakesh Kayeeda lost to Hakanson in three but made a match of it, while Ritwik Intodia led 2-seed Kasaravalli before ultimately falling in a 5th-set tiebreaker. That was far too close for comfort, the little whelp needs to learn to mind his place for a while longer.

Perez flattened Clavet Moniotte in the semis as you'd expect, while Algot Hakanson had close loss against Amrik Kasaravalli again, his fourth success in their last five meetings. The only exception was the indoor WTC encounter this year. 4-6, 6-4, 6-7(3), 7-6(4), 6-1 … last set the Swede fell off but Amrik clearly could have lost this one, having to rally for the second straight round. Nicolas Perez defends his title from last year, permitting one set to fall before winning the final in four. If I have my history right this time - the club records only go back three years - that makes two for him and two for Hart in the club championship rolls.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote