View Single Post
Old 09-23-2019, 06:55 PM   #1204
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

2068 Final Rankings

1. Nicolas Perez (26, ARG) - 12,550

Not since shortly after taking the top spot almost two years ago has Perez's perch been in such jeopardy as it is right now. For the moment he's still #1 though, and if he managed to snap out of his slump over the off-season it's not hard to imagine him putting some distance between himself and the field once more.

2. Harald Wentz (25, AUT) - 11,300

Wentz finished '68 on a tear, claiming among other things his first Tour Finals and first Slam at the USO. With those successes he's knocking on door of becoming the top tennis player in the world ... if he can keep it going. We've thought him a threat before only to see his performance fall off. Time will tell if he's learned from that, or is merely repeating it.

3. Tobias Velilla (24, ARG) - 8,780

I still don't think Tobias is quite good enough to do what he did last season. He won the Australian, then didn't make the last eight of any of the first five Masters, only to reach the final at Wimbledon and the WTF. More consistent towards the end of the year, he still seems to have overachieved. I predicted he'd move up a couple spots (from 9th) and make the field at the tour finals ... not be a threat to win that kind of event. It'll be curious to see if he can stay at his current level. Esp. if N. Perez starts the year with a vengeance, I expect he'll find it difficult.

4. Calisto Aviles (25, ESP) - 6,820

If Velilla falters, the steadily-improving Spaniard is well-positioned to move up. Aviles has done well esp. the past couple of years, but it's going to get a lot harder to keep adding more points now.

5. Chisulo Mpakati (25, ZIM) - 5,770

Mpakati was headed the other direction in '68. Two years ago he made three Slam semis and was noted for his consistency; last year it was only one though he did reach that stage at four Masters. With a career 0-4 record in finals at the big events, he seems just a step behind the other contenders.

6. Il-Sung Jung (26, KOR) - 5,055

Jung added a second Masters Shield in Miami last year, and continues to be a wild-card. He can threaten almost anyone or be a complete no-show.

7. Lucas Perez (26, ARG) - 4,860

Time for me to eat a bit of crow. I called out Lucas for his lack of improvement, saying he was 'just treading water' and that 'there's no good reason for him not to have improved more'. I still think that was true at the time, but something lit a fire under him to move up from 12th, past multiple players better than him in theory.

8. Ollie Haas (26, NLD) - 4,380

Continuing to slowly slip with the advance of time.

9. Tim de Jong (27, NLD) - 3,675

Finished stronger than he had any right to, ensuring he'd remain in the Top 10 a while longer.

10. Odimos Csollang (22, ROU) - 3,315

Our initial first-page appearance of the next generation that will eventually depose Perez from his perch. I don't know if it'll be Csollang that does it, but his meteoric talents have been the first to arrive on the scene with an early semi showing in Miami, then two more late in the year at the USO and Paris.

Usually when I talk about players who were in Challengers the year before, they're in the mid-20s the next season on the way up. Not in the freaking Top 10. That kind of rise deserves attention to be paid.

11. Amrik Kasaravalli (27, SRI)

Less than a hundred points behind the Romanian, Amrik sits having overachieved a bit last year - I pegged him as 'low teens' and he spent a single week at 10th. It'd be cool to get him back up there, but it won't be easy.

12. Clavet Moniotte (27, FRA)

France's top player is another one to briefly reach #10, but he's a few months older and less likely IMO to get back there.

13. Barry Molyneaux (30, USA)

I'm simultaneously impressed and annoyed by Barry's refusal to JUST GO AWAY.

14. Fabio Cagide (23, ESP)

Spain's improving #2 was 25th last year, so he's definitely headed in the right direction at a good clip. Had some growing pains, but also some strong moments, both at unexpected times.

16. Ross Vicars (22, USA)

Up from 29th and just recently making to the next tier in his advancement. A future terror in the American hardcourt events.

17. Algot Hakanson (27, SWE)

So close, and yet so far. Hakanson still has a shot to stick at 16th or better but time is ticking away.

19. Acke Kjaerstad (25, SWE)

Inching upwards from 23rd a year ago.

21. Sushant Chiba (32, SRI)

He's milked about all he can from that unexpected SF run at the AO last year. I expect this year's event to be his final singles Slam. Doubles ranking is up to 63rd.

23. Pedro Perez (26, ARG)

Another newcomer, showing up at the elite scene just in time to say hello. He's old enough that I doubt they'll be time for much else.

25. Peter de Boer (23, CRO)

And thus begins the procession of even more newcomers.

26. Mark Smith (21, GBR)

27. Tommy Fitzpatrick (22, IRE)

28. Joao Narciso (24, BRA)

Back again for another bite at the apple.

29. Jaak Christ (24, USA)

There's always more Americans.

30. Helmut Edlund (24, SWE)

31. Nasir Chittoor (22, SRI)

32. John Hart (31, IRE)

Bye-bye John. But yeah that's a scary group of upcoming talent ahead of you. Nine players promoted from the challenger ranks who are at least arguably still improving ... only P. Perez is even close to peak among that group. That's nearly a third of the elite Top 32. And that's not counting Cagide and Vicars, strong young guns who were already there.

As I said, the next-gens are coming!

39. Willy Weigl (24, AUT)

Had a taste of the promised land, and then was kicked out ... but he'll be back.

49. Shakti Vemireddy (22, SRI)

I often forget about Vemireddy since he isn't in the club. Still pushing up, was almost 30 spots further down last year, and into the elite challenger group. .

65. Rakesh Kayeeda (22, SRI)

We just learned not to sleep on these guys. A trio of CH1 titles in the last few months demonstrate Kayeeda's readiness.

93. Ritwik Intodia (22, SRI)

Taking a bit longer and isn't consistently winning at the challenger level yet. Part of that though is a lot of the players who just got out of the way have cleared space for him - if they stay out of the way.

124. Lubos Rucklov (20, CZE)

Got one challenger win last year, and should keep pushing up.

132. Chiang-hui Cheng (20, TPE)

Pretty much the same story here.

149. Mike Corey (19, USA)

A recent addition to the challenger scene, Corey has a trio of SF showings early.

153. Rene Dechesnay (25, MAL)

A smattering of results here, mostly doing a lot better in doubles than singles.

176. Satyagit Guha (22, SRI)

I'm not really sure where the singles career goes for Guha from here. Now that he's going to be playing the big events in doubles (currently 51st), I'm just going to sort of take that as it comes.

21(J). Aleksije Konstantinovic (17, CRO)

One of the oldest juniors this year, we'll see if AK-47letters can translate that into big success. Last year he didn't win any event bigger than a JG4, so it'll be a big jump up here.

55(J). Joseph Charriol (17, MAL)

Also the annual tradition of establishing yourself at a higher tier here. Had one JG3 win.

107(J). Kjell Falkeving (15, SWE)

Two late JG4 wins after maxing out or close to it on JG5s. Falkeving appears to have read the book on how to train a junior and didn't forget any of the important parts.

127(J). Eduardo Yroz (15, CHI)

Tried a JG3 late in the year and reached the semis ... in the new season with the graduations he should succeed at that level.

142(J). Raul Almaraz (17, PRT)

Needs to stay away from the big events, but got a couple of JG4 wins. Final year for him down here.

194(J). Ambroz Kozubek (15, CZE)

Kozubek will be an almost max-age junior in a couple of years. For now he has a few JG5 titles under his belt but likewise needs to stay away from the larger enticements.

256(J). Anant Koppula (16, IND)

On the other end of a scale as a very young junior ... he's actually only five weeks older than Kozubek. Just got his first JG4 win, and I expect more this year.

286(J). Sebastien Bisteri (16, ESP)

Tried a couple of premature JG4s recently ... three JG5 finals but hasn't actually won one yet.

304(J). Josh Frobisher (14, GBR)

Sticking with the JG5 plan, Frobisher has a couple of wins but hasn't gotten deep in them consistently yet. It's a new year for him, and he's got lots of time.

811(J). Anikitos Khadjikyriakos (14, CYP)

Last two events he made the semis and quarters, so he's starting to get some momentum going. Doubles showings improving as well.

921(J). Thanasis Theodopoulos (15, CYP)

A mix of events ... Theodopoulos is trying to move up prematurely and would be better served to stay at JG5 until he wins a few. That should come soon I'd imagine.

1283(J). Lucas Dufourcq (14, FRA)

A new face here. Dufourcq has an elite mental game, very good if not world-class endurance (3.7), plenty of talent, and athleticism is a little above-average. Picking up somebody this good and young off the free-agent market is the sign of a manager who is paying attention to detail. Even has a very low (96%) aging factor. I hope to see the development of Lucas continue - right now he's going through the growing pains of establishing himself in JG5s. I can see him potentially being a future Top 10 player.

Overall, a lot more of you are working on your players which means more work for me. Keep Up The Good Work! We've got a few upcoming juniors worth watching for a long time, and the future of the Anilophiles after my days are done is looking up.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 09-23-2019 at 06:56 PM.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote