View Single Post
Old 03-18-2019, 03:04 PM   #91
MIJB#19
Coordinator

General Manager Notes: 2081, what to do at quarterback?
We talked to the kid, but before we had a chance to make a sane offer for the 1.1 pick, it was already traded from Oakland to Orlando. The Talons did what had to be done there: select quarterback Jerald Harrison.

So much for that idea.

What about that Ellis McAlister guy that toted the ball for us in the last two seasons? Well, realistically, we're in a deadlock situation. McAlister is signed for a $11.69M cap figure in his last season of contract, but obviously he wants us to offer him a $164M contract for 4 years, with a $36M cap figure this season. As of today, after a truckload of renegotiations, we're still about $63M over the cap, $92M over after signing draft picks. I'm fully expecting McAlister to go into hold out mode and we'll be very unlikely to make him even a half-decent offer without trading or cutting guys like Nicky Sherman, Antonio Battle and Brody Stevens. All are a bit of a luxury (we've got last season's first round pick Butch Pearson, a couple of excellent linebackers and hope to fix the receivers group), moving all three would save us about $78.5M.

The free agents market is dry at quarterback. Not just a little bit, it's void of anybody worth throwing a contract at. Wesley Elliott and Zachery Hatcher are sack magnets, while Colin Clements is projected to still be out for the entire 2081 season.

The rest of the draft? I dunno. I shouldn't show my hand here, but I can be open about that I didn't focus our interviews at that position. Jerald Harrison was the only one.

Our backups are, well, that. The retirement of Sammy Erickson means last year's seventh round pick Josiah Lyle and third year kick holder Karsten Muchnick are our depth, or lack thereof. Neither of them is ready to start.

Our best bet right now is hoping for McAlister to not hold out, or if he does, hope he ends the holdout before week 1, to force our hand for the next off-season.

Last edited by MIJB#19 : 03-18-2019 at 03:04 PM.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote