View Single Post
Old 10-02-2007, 08:44 AM   #519
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

AL All Star Manager Press Conference

MC: Everyone…As you know, the Old Timers lead the American League by half a game over the Negro League Ones, and by virtue of that fact, Manager Billie Barnie will be coaching the 3 game series. Mr. Barnie is now available to field your questions.

David Duntz: Coach Barnie, What made you decide to go with Walter Johnson to start the first game?

Barnie: Are you kidding? Have you seen him pitch? Look it’s pretty simple, he’s the best there is.

Stan Hack: Did the fact the National League is right handed hitting heavy factor into the decision?

Barnie: Not really. It didn’t hurt things, but Walter gets everyone out, lefties, righties….EVERYONE! And I expect he’ll get the Nationals lineup out too.

John Bland: You seem pretty confident in Johnson’s ability, is there anyone in the National League lineup that scares you?

Barnie: Foxx is always a concern, but even as good as he is, he wouldn’t be able to crack our starting lineup, unless I put him butcher things at third so I could get his bat in the order. Other than that…let me think…the top 2 guys in the order are dangerous, especially Wagner, who can do so much if he gets on base. The rest are nice players, some have some power, but they don’t overly concern me.

Stan Hack: You mentioned the National League being right handed hitting heavy didn’t factor into your decision to pitch Johnson, on the flip side, your team is very left handed hitting heavy and you are going against a good lefty in Rob Nielsen, was there any concern about using all those left handed batters or consideration into using different players to get more righties in the lineup?

Barnie: Nope, no concern at all. The lefties we have in the lineup aren’t your typical lefties. I mean, come on, we are talking Cobb, Ruth, Gehrig, Williams, and Collins. They don’t just hit right handed pitchers, they hit everything thrown up to plate, and they hit it hard. I expect they will do the same tonight. As for Nielsen, he started the season off extremely fast, but he hasn’t pitched particularly well lately, so I feel pretty comfortable in predicting we are going to hammer him pretty good tonight. Also, it’s not like we don’t have any right handed hitters in the lineup. Gibson is as powerful as anyone, and Ripkin is playing well and Wells is a nice player….

Now that I think about it, I will admit I did make 1 change to address the left handed opposing pitcher, I not only started Wells at 3b over Baker, I put him second in the lineup ahead of Collins so I wouldn’t start the game with 4 left handed batters. But that was the only change.

Stan Hack: So there were no other considerations to work in more righties?

Barnie: I took a look at Delehante, but who am I going to sit down, Cobb who’s hitting almost .400? Ruth hitting in the .330s with 20 plus homers, Williams who’s hitting about as good as Ed but with more power, or Gehrig who is playing better than Williams? No, I didn’t have much to consider.

Paul Pride: Any concern with Williams’ indifferent play in the field costing you runs?

Barnie: None. He’ll out produce what he costs us by his poor defensive play.

David Duntz: So no plans for defensive substitutions?

Barnie: I’ll have to see how the game unfolds. I’m not going into the game planning to pull Ted, or anyone else for that matter, if we have a lead after a certain number of innings.

Paul Pride: Any idea who your main pinch hitters will be?

Barnie: I don’t expect we’ll need any. I might use some late in the game if I’m going to pull my pitcher, but I don’t expect to NEED to use a pinch hitter.

John Bland: Have you decided on a starter for Games 2 and 3?

Barnie: I’ll use Grove in game 2 and I’d be surprised if there was a game 3, so I haven’t thought about who might get that start.

***things go quite for a while***

MC: Any more questions?

***no response****

MC: Ok. Thank you, Mr. Barnie. I have been told that Benton is on his way down and should be here shortly to answer your questions.
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote