View Single Post
Old 10-02-2007, 01:25 PM   #520
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

ALL STAR GAME – NATIONAL LEAGUE MANAGER PRESS CONFERENCE

MC: Everyone…If I can have your attention please. Coach Breeze is now available to answer questions.

Stan Hack: Coach, when the season started did you expect to be here today?

Benton: No, I didn’t expect to be here. I felt like we had a pretty good team, but I certainly didn’t think we’d have the best record in the National League…or really, the best record in baseball at the break. It’s a great honor and a testament to our players and how hard they have worked.

Ken Simpleton: You didn’t think about being able to manage the All-Star game, even after the fantastic start you got off to?

Benton: Nope. The teams in this league are too good to think you are going to run away and hide. It didn’t take too long for Posters to run us down.

John Bland: Benton, Coach Barnie said that he was pretty confident that Walter Johnson would be able to shut down your lineup.

Benton: I would be too..

*audience laughs*

Really, Walter is a dominating pitcher, and we aren’t helped by the absence of some lefties having good years. I could really use Musial and Matthews tonight.

David Duntz: So you are concerned about the lack of left handed bats?

Benton: I like the guys I’ve got in the lineup…don’t misunderstand or misinterpret what I’m saying…but it would be nice to have two accomplished players like Musial and Matthews for a game against a right handed pitcher who’s as good as Johnson is.

Stan Hack: Why Nielsen in the first game?

Benton: You guys know Rob right?

*nods*

Well, if I hadn’t started him in the first game, he would have given me hell the rest of the year…

*more laughs*

But seriously, look at the numbers. Nielsen’s what…10 and 4, who else was I going to start. I have my other 2 starters and 4 guys from the Posters, Pete Alexander, and Mendez. There lineup is predominately left handed hitters so if you figure I want to go with a lefty that leaves me Nielsen, Mighty and Koufax. Nielsen has the best record of those 3 and his ERA is lower than Koufax’s. I think he’s earned the start.

Paul Pride: Barnie said Nielsen hasn’t been pitching well lately, does that concern you and did you consider that when you made your decision on who will start tonight?

Benton: I thought about it a little, and you’re right, Rob hasn’t pitched as well lately as he did early in the season, but I think his numbers are just about the same as Johnson’s if not slightly better. So if he isn’t pitching well, I guess Johnson’s not pitching well either.

Stan Hack: Tell us about the lineup…

Benton: Well we start off with Wagner, and I just decided he was a better fit for what we needed in this game than Banks was. Wagner is a table setter and he has the ability to create runs, so I liked him in the leadoff spot. Plus I felt Banks would serve better as a right handed hitting pinch hitter. LaJoie is second. He’s just hitting too good. Morgan would give me a left handed bat, and some explosiveness, but he isn’t as consistent, but don’t count him out, he might end up with plenty of playing time before this game is over. Ott’s third. I need a left handed bat in the middle of the order and Ott is playing great ball this season. Foxx is cleanup, and why not, he’s as good as anyone. Mays plays center and bats fifth. Jud Wilson is sixth at third. I honestly thought about putting Ott at third, but I don’t really have another lefty to put in the outfield so this way I get two left handed bats in the lineup. I would expect if we get a lead that Wilson will be pulled for a defensive replacement. Clemente gives me a cannon in right and a good contact guy, and Santop is my left handed hitting platoon at the catcher spot.

Paul Pride
: So no left handed hitting outfielders?

Benton: I have Goslin, but I didn’t think that was much of an upgrade. Plus I really need another left handed bat off the bench. If worse comes to worse I’ll use Pflaggsettler like a left handed batter. He really hits righties more like a lefty anyway.

Stan Hack: On paper it looks like the American League is much better than your team, do you feel you have an advantage, “on paper” anywhere?

Benton: (scratching his chin): Interesting question. I think in general our pitching is on par with there’s, but an actual advantage on paper….hmmm….

*pause*

Oh, sure…the bullpen. Kronside and Knowles are as good as anyone and are actual closers. I don’t know that they have a true closer on the back end.
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote