Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Who are my must-extends?

We extend:

WR Maxwell Poffenroth
SLB Ezra Wilkerson
LS Kent Ikuma (To a vet min salary)

We will let go:

WR Menzies, TE Beyer, CB Hanks, QB Stanton, DE Alston, WR Bryce Haynes, DT Rick Greer, CB Joseph Dennis, TE Arnie Sitz, Sebastian Treftz

That’s a lot of depth. Knowing that, are there any RFA that I might want to keep in order to have solid depth to cover those folks?

I like MLB Ray Gibson – 36/44 undrafted FA for us and he’ll cost 1.35 mill (the min salary) to retain . I do like OT O’Neal, but he wants solid money (3 years, 7.21 mill) to come back. Can’lt do that for the UFA guy. That’s it.

I still need to free up money. Those extensions were usually for the same amount as their current deal extended. I can’t have 40 players plus my draftees on my roster.

We draft 1.31, and we just have our 8 picks this year with an extra 7th.

I want to see if anyone will give me some cap agility contracts on my team. I can extend CB Hutchings for 4 years, drop his cap hit this year by 3.3 mill, and then next three years it’s 9.3, 9.8 and then 10.7. That’s not bad for a 53/53 starter, but he’s in his 8th year and will be 30 by training camp. I don’t know if I want to commit that sort of money to him.

I don’t want to extend RB Gaston, because that could be where I go for cap space next year. Unfortunately SS Whalen doesn’t have an accurate view of his deterioration. I could cut TE Beyer now. Save 2.5 mill. I do need starters at DT (maybe, I do have my rookie from last year) FB, WLB, and that requires me spending cash in FA or getting very lucky in the draft. If I cut Beyer, I save money, but I have to replace him now. I could cut K Pintsak for a few million or SS Whalen to save 6.5 mill.

In order to better see the money stuff, I advance the FA stage.

WLB Joyner is the 4th best non-kicker in FA. There Is a 75/75 5th year CB, a 55/55 OT, a 53/53 FB, and then Joyner and then 51/51 FB.

I am deepest at safety on my roster I have Popson, the ex-rookie MckNight. I could cut Whalen, and then move over….McKnight looks a better SS. Frankly, that’s the samart play, although I hate to lose Whalen, I like to keep folks from womb to tomb. But it’s not to be.

I cut Jermaine Whalen. Sigh.

We talk to his agent, and WLB Casey Joyner would consider coming back to J-ville. I also cut TE Beyer.

I make an offer to:

TE Winston Blades, 3 years, 9.86 mill

He’s 5th year, and has great special teams play and is an adequate 42/42 guy. The Beyer cut saving spays for his first year.

We extend WR Wild by one year

I make a 2 year min-sal offer to K Duane Tate

I cut K Pintsak. This frees up 4 mill.

I extend QB Will Stanton for a year.

I make an offer to FB Robbie Bauer

I make an offer to bring back WLB Joyner. He’s cheaper than a lot of folks that aren’t as good.

We have offers to WLB, TE, K and FB.

Let’s move forward:

Stage 2 – Nothing

Stage 3 – We sign Joyner back. DT Clinton is heading to Washington.

Stage 4 – No news

Stage 5 – No news

Stage 6 – Nothing

Stage 7 – TE Blades is coming to Jacksonville.

Stage 8 – FB Bauer is heading to us too. Any major players missed in the first round of FA? No one major

Stage 9 - We sign K Tate. SS Whalen is heading to Cleveland.

Stage 10 – K Pinstak is heading to St Louis

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote