View Single Post
Old 01-31-2010, 02:57 PM   #9
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
You guys think there's any chance the Big East's BCS slot might be taken away if they lost one of their stronger programs?

Maybe, maybe not.

Let's say this happens. The Pac 10 would then be the only "big time" conference without 12 teams and a championship game. There has been talk recently (with a new commish in place) that they might be more open to exploring that than they have in the past.

Why does that matter? Well, if the Big East loses its BCS slot, who gets that spot (assuming they don't just make at an at large)? The natural next choice would seem to be the Mountain West.

But if the Pac 10 now feels heavy pressure to expand, it's almost certain they're going to look at the Mountain West schools first, probably starting with BYU and/or Utah. If they do that, the MWC probably falls below the Big East, which will no doubt pick up a replacement from somewhere for Pitt, and the Big East would keep its BCS slot.

Or the BCS might just make it an at large regardless.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote