View Single Post
Old 01-31-2010, 03:14 PM   #15
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Even though Temple isn't all that great, it'd alleviate the MAC's problem of 13 teams and would be the easiest move to make, especially since they've committed themselves to upgrade their facilities, play at an NFL stadium and so forth.

I think, if a team did leave now -- and it seems unlikely Pitt would leave WVU -- the Big East football conference would probably split from the basketball league, but lease back the name, add 4 new teams to get to 12. Probably UCF, Temple another team from C-USA or the possibility that's been suggested here which might actually work -- poach the two new FCS programs coming online over the next few years from major southern markets. I'm talking Georgia State and UNC-Charlotte.

No, neither of them would be particularly good out of the gate, but both of those schools would never find a better deal, it'd spread the reach of the league a bit and while it'd weaken it somewhat, it might help programs like Louisville rebound faster and keep Cincy and Rutgers ascending, too.

I doubt a conference will lose a bid though, seems with the new process, they'll be assessing some nebulous criteria they won't release and adding a conference to shut folks up.

It would give Penn State a travel partner and an in-state rival, but...I still think the Big 10 stated their intentions a while ago and now they're just throwing up a bunch of smoke before revealing what they were planning to do all along.

I agree it's probably all smoke, but if this is true, then it lends credence to the fact that they were adamant on getting the best mix of academics and all around athletics rather then expansion.

I still wouldn't be shocked if Pitt joined the Big 10 that they still didn't keep an open mind to expanding to 14 teams and adding Rutgers and Syracuse or something like that.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote