View Single Post
Old 03-04-2014, 08:59 PM   #29
collegesportsfanms
Pro Rookie

SI, I'm just a tad confused by this paragraph here.

And, seriously, there are 24 AQ tourneys aside from the conference tourneys? Seriously? Wow. You will probably need to do some conference consolidation at the bottom rung as you'll wipe out a lot of good teams for those 44 at large spots. By dragging the Wichita States into the fold, there's going to be an auto-bid going to a team that wouldn't have made the tourney otherwise. I love mid-majors but you just pulled the top 128 teams in and now you're only letting 44 play. Perhaps it would be better to drop the AQs down to 20 or 16. Let every team have a chance to make it in (you have to love the "democracy" of the NCAA tourney where any team winning the right number of games can win the title) but you may make the road a bit bumpier as suddenly the MVC becomes a 16 team tourney instead of the 8 it is without Whichita State and Indiana State.

There are 32 conferences total in NCAA basketball. I have the top 8 conferences in the game, and I tried to fill the conference with top teams from the mid-major conferences. That does leave 24 other conferences that would have a conference tournament for an auto bid. Just to be clear are you saying that say, for instance, I combine the SWAC and the MEAC (2 conferences whose auto qualifiers usually end up as 16 seeds) and make that 1 tournament? I believe that's what you're saying but I just want to be clear. If this is what you are saying, I can absolutely do this.

Also, as far as the balanced schedule, I like the idea, but I do think that would be too hard to figure out. I figured since I randomized the tournaments, I would just randomize the non-conference matchups as well.

For the 8 conferences that I'm using in the game, for the 16 team conference tournament, I'm using straight 16 team single elimination, no byes. So you're right, it would be 4 rounds.

I like your idea of audience participation. I'm not sure RPI has to play a huge role in this, I know it does for the real tournament, but I think I can make this work otherwise.

I appreciate your ideas, and I hope you don't get offended if I don't apply all of them to this, as I did have my own ideas that I did want to implement. I do like most of your ideas though, the balanced schedule was something I was teetering on for non-conference play.

Last edited by collegesportsfanms : 03-04-2014 at 09:00 PM.
collegesportsfanms is offline   Reply With Quote