View Single Post
Old 08-01-2011, 10:26 AM   #39
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

One additional thing about this weekend - we played 4 games on field 18, so we had the same umpiring crew for all 4 games. It was this pair of black guys who were like a hip hop comedy team or something. Dudes were going all Frank Drebin punching out players on strike outs, and the guy out in the field would sometimes thrown in a few dance steps as he called players out on close plays at the bases. They were hilarious. Not the best umps I've ever seen, but really entertaining and fun. And the guy behind the plate introduced himself to every catcher and made sure to ask the coaches if they wanted courtesy runners for the catchers, etc.

So in the game we won 2-1, the other team got jobbed on a bad call at 1st base. The girl was clearly safe. But the 1st and 3rd base coaches went nuts arguing the call, and they had reacted on a couple of other close plays earlier in the game, too. So the ump out in the field kicked them both out of the game right there. And then a parent started yelling, and he told him to be in his car with the engine running in 60 seconds or the game was forfeited.

Funniest thing either of them did though was this - Caitlin was up and checked her swing, and they asked for the appeal to the other ump. This was the exchange:

Home plate ump: "Did she go?

1st base ump: "Did she go? OH NO SHE DI'NT!!"
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 08-01-2011 at 10:27 AM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote